Laserfiche WebLink
Historic Preservation Commission <br />Meeting Minutes <br />August 18, 2008 <br />Page 2 of 8 <br />Lewis asked for a staff report <br />Muth reported that the property owner, Ronda Grassi, applied for a demolition permit on <br />May 27, 2008 for the demolition of 824 South Place. Subcommittee members Lewis and <br />McMenamin toured the site on June 10, 2008 and determined that the home may be <br />eligible for local landmarking as the building appears to have retained a large degree of <br />architectural integrity over the years. The home is in a style particularly associated with <br />Louisville and represents the built environment of the coal miners, so it may be culturally <br />significant to Louisville. A stay was placed on the demolition permit request and a public <br />hearing was scheduled for July 21. <br />Per Ordinance No. 1463, Series 2005 the following public notice was given: <br />• The public hearing was advertised in the Daily Camera on July 5, 2008; <br />• A public hearing notice was posted on the property on July 2, 2008; <br />• The applicant received notice via both regular and certified mail, sent on July 1. <br />Muth noted that the property is currently anon-conforming use as a residence in a <br />commercially zoned district. As such, any changes to the existing structure, including <br />modifying, expanding, or altering the structure will require a variance. Any changes to <br />the site that would remove the structure for a new building would require a full PUD <br />process. <br />Muth gave some historical information on the site. Assessor's records say the home was <br />built in 1900; however it is difficult to determine if this existing structure was there in <br />1900. Other sources indicate that this building was built after 1929. Owners of the <br />property over the years have included the Youk Family (1896-1929) and the Perrella <br />Family (1929-1995). Both families included coal-mining immigrants similar to many other <br />families in Louisville in the early part of the 20th Century. <br />Staff was unable to locate any photos or 1948 Assessor's cards for either the 824 South <br />Place address or a coordinating address on Main Street. <br />Muth recapped for the commission their options: the Commission may vote to either <br />release the demolition permit or hold the permit for the remainder of the 180-day period. <br />In this case, as the public hearing was continued to August 18, the 180-day period will <br />expire on December 21, 2008. In that 180-day period, the Commission and applicant <br />may work to find an alternative to demolition. If no alternative is found by December 21, <br />the applicant is then free to demolish the building. <br />Muth reminded the Commission that decisions and questions regarding this property and <br />public hearing should be relevant to the criteria in the preservation ordinance. <br />Lewis read the exact criteria on which the decision is to be based and asked for an <br />applicant presentation. <br />1. The eligibility of the building for designation as an individual landmark <br />consistent with the purposes and standards in this Chapter; <br />2. The relationship of the building as a potential contributing structure to <br />a potential historical district per the criteria set forth in this Chapter; <br />3. The reasonable condition of the building; and <br />4. The reasonable projected cost of restoration or repair. <br />