My WebLink
|
Help
|
About
|
Sign Out
Home
Browse
Search
540 County Rd History - Louisville Grain Elevator
PORTAL
>
HISTORICAL RECORDS (50.000)
>
ADDRESS HISTORIES
>
County Rd Address Histories
>
540 County Rd History - Louisville Grain Elevator
Metadata
Thumbnails
Annotations
Entry Properties
Last modified
12/20/2021 2:12:54 PM
Creation date
11/14/2018 2:57:30 PM
Metadata
Fields
Template:
CITYWIDE
Doc Type
Historical Records
Subdivision Name
Louisville Mill Site
Property Address Number
540
Property Address Street Name
County
Quality Check
11/14/2018
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
Laserfiche.
All rights reserved.
/
17
PDF
Print
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
Show annotations
View images
View plain text
According to the UC-Denver report Eastern Plains and Front Range Grain Elevators of Colorado, citing <br />Convery's biography of Mullen, <br />In an effort to placate suspicious farmers who felt CM&E [the Colorado Milling & Elevator <br />Company] was a monopoly guilty of price fixing, Mullen looked for ways to improve <br />CM&E's image. J.K. instituted several measures designed to reestablish trust in his <br />company. In order to provide a sense of local ownership, subsidiary mills acquired or <br />opened by CM&E were named for the community .... <br />In this connection, it should be noted that the first and longtime name of the Louisville Grain Elevator <br />was the "Louisville Milling & Elevator Company," and it appears to have been selected for the public <br />relations reason noted. Other legal owners of the building were the Northern Colorado Elevator <br />Company and the Colorado Milling & Elevator Company. It was also called the "Denver Elevator" and the <br />words "The Denver Elevators" were painted on the side of the building even while it was owned by the <br />Colorado Milling & Elevator Company. Despite the name changes, all of these companies are believed to <br />have been under the control of John K. Mullen. <br />Date of Construction <br />A review of the available evidence shows that the date of construction of this building was most likely <br />1905-06. <br />(The Boulder County Assessor lists two improvements located at 540 County Road and gives the date of <br />construction of both of them as 1936. However, the County has sometimes been found to be in error <br />with respect to the dates of construction of Louisville buildings. The 1936 date is clearly not accurate <br />with respect to the Grain Elevator building.) <br />Different reports that have been written about the history of this building have given the dates of <br />construction as 1903, 1904, 1905, and 1908. <br />The 1908 Sanborn fire insurance map for Louisville showed the Elevator and stated the year of <br />construction to have been 1903. However, an examination of the deeds reveals that it was not until <br />August 1905 that The Union Pacific Coal Company sold the property to Peter F. Murphy, who then sold it <br />to J.K. Mullen in October 1905. It seems unlikely that the structure would have been built prior to the <br />transfer of these deeds. Also, in February 1905, the Longmont, Colorado Ledger newspaper reported <br />that "Louisville, in Boulder County, wants a flour mill." While a flour mill is not the same as a grain <br />elevator, the statement suggests that what Louisville may have more broadly been seeking was a way <br />for its wheat farmers to easily get their wheat crops to a mill. The construction of a grain elevator would <br />have fulfilled that need, and the appearance of the item in the Longmont paper could suggest that <br />Louisville did not yet have a grain elevator. <br />The Elevator, and Howard Moore as its manager, were first listed in the 1907-08 directory for Louisville, <br />which could indicate that it was built before 1907. Significantly, the Elevator is not listed in the 1904 or <br />1906 Louisville directories. (A 1905 directory for Louisville appears to not exist.) <br />For the foregoing reasons, it is believed that the Elevator was constructed in 1905-06. <br />4 <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.