My WebLink
|
Help
|
About
|
Sign Out
Home
Browse
Search
801 Grant Ave History from Louisville Historian
PORTAL
>
HISTORICAL RECORDS (50.000)
>
ADDRESS HISTORIES
>
Grant Ave Address Histories
>
801 Grant Ave History from Louisville Historian
Metadata
Thumbnails
Annotations
Entry Properties
Last modified
12/20/2021 2:36:56 PM
Creation date
11/14/2018 3:22:54 PM
Metadata
Fields
Template:
CITYWIDE
Doc Type
Historical Records
Subdivision Name
Pleasant Hill Addition
Property Address Number
801
Property Address Street Name
Grant
Quality Check
11/14/2018
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
Laserfiche.
All rights reserved.
/
12
PDF
Print
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
Show annotations
View images
View plain text
This photo from 1915 shows another brick <br />building, Redmen Hall, to the north of the school <br />building. Teeter totters are also visible. <br />1918: The Red Cross cares for victims of the flu <br />epidemic in the brick school, according to research by <br />local author Carolyn Conarroe. <br />1920: A building for the new Louisville High School is <br />constructed at Garfield and Walnut, and there is once <br />again room in the frame school for first and second <br />graders. At this time, the brick school house is no longer <br />being used for regular classes, but manual training for <br />older students is held here beginning in about 1922. <br />Louisville High School manual training classes <br />were held in the school. The photo from the early <br />1920s is the only known historical photo of the <br />interior of the building. <br />1940s: The Chinook Public Library, operated by <br />Louisville's Saturday Study Club, is located in the brick <br />school house. In 1949, Lenore Riddock writes to the <br />school board to announce the Club's decision to move <br />the Library downtown: "Our reason for moving is that <br />we hope to serve more patrons by being on Main Street." <br />(The Chinook Public Library evolved into today's <br />Louisville Public Library.) <br />The building is painted white at some point. Nelle <br />Wolfer Willis would later write that this was done "to <br />the regret of many who went thro it." <br />Photo of 801 Grant, circa 1940s. <br />1952: The brick school house is called "Recreational <br />Hall" and the School Board approves the Lions Club to <br />supervise recreational activities there. <br />1955: The School Board approves the removal of the <br />"steeple" from Recreational Hall (the likely reason being <br />that it was in disrepair). Also, Superintendent Samuel <br />Barbiero asks the town to close Grant Avenue between <br />Spruce and Walnut for safety reasons, because school <br />play areas for children are on both sides of Grant. <br />Despite the closure of Grant Avenue in front of the <br />building, to this day it has the address of 801 Grant <br />Avenue. <br />801 Grant Avenue when Grant was still a street in <br />front of it. (2008.008.025) <br />1950s and 1960s: Recreational Hall hosts jacks <br />tournaments and has ping pong and craft activities, and <br />tennis courts are located to the north of the building. The <br />3 <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.