Laserfiche WebLink
having been an engineer at the Acme Mine. In 1896, Emanuel Smith (1865-1940), who was also <br />an engineer at the Acme Mine, purchased the property. <br />The Boulder County online property records and the County Assessor card both give 1896 as <br />the year of construction for this house. As the County has frequently been found to be in error <br />with respect to the dates of construction of historic buildings in Louisville, it is important to <br />examine the evidence to ascertain the correct date of construction. In the case of 517 Lincoln, <br />1896 is a very plausible year of construction, as it is the year that Emanuel Smith purchased the <br />lots from Minnie Chambers. <br />In 1897, Nicholas Stout acquired the northern two lots of the current parcel from Emanuel <br />Smith. The 1900 census records show Nicholas Stout (born in Ireland in 1869) and Josephine <br />Stout (born in Iowa in 1875) and their four young children, John, George, Willie, and Mary, <br />living in what appears to be this location on South Lincoln Ave. "Nic" Stout was a fireman in a <br />coal mine at the time. Nicholas Stout sold the two lots to John Pecolar in 1903. <br />In 1904, John Pecolar added Lots 15, 16, and 17 (the southernmost lots of the current parcel). <br />He had acquired these lots from M.L. Rosenbaum, who had purchased them in 1900 from <br />Jemima and Lawrence McHugh, who purchased the lots from Acme Place developer John <br />Connell. The 1900 census records appear to show the McHughs and their large family with <br />seven children living in a house that was located on the southernmost lots of this parcel. <br />The 1904 Louisville directory lists John and Annie Pecolar as living on "Lincoln btw. Hutchinson <br />& Pine," which is an accurate description of the location of this property. However, it is not <br />known which house on the property they lived in. This was a Slovak family and John Pecolar <br />(1866-1929) was a miner in 1904. Based on later census information, at least some of their <br />children were Paul, Andy, Mary, Rose, and Emma. <br />The 1909 Drumm's Wall Map confirms that there used to be two houses on the five lots that <br />now make up this parcel. Today, only the historic house on the north side of the parcel remains. <br />It is not known what happened to the other house (the McHugh house). The 1909 Drumm's <br />Wall Map also shows that the Acme Mine railroad spur passed just to the south of this parcel, <br />on what is now Hutchinson, and ended close by. <br />Because John Pecolar purchased all five lots in two transactions in 1903 and 1904, this parcel <br />still consists of five lots today. <br />John Pecolar is believed to have owned the lots until 1912, when property records indicate that <br />there was a County Sheriff's sale of the property. The new owner was J.E. Oakley. <br />Seeley Family Ownership, 1914-1950 <br />