Laserfiche WebLink
Louisville Historical Museum <br />Department of Library & Museum Services <br />City of Louisville, Colorado <br />August 2014 <br />I�f city <br />Louisville <br />COLORADO • SINCE 1878 <br />525 Lincoln Ave. History <br />Legal Description: Lots 11 and 12, Block 5, Acme Place <br />Year of Construction: circa 1898 <br />Summary: This house was built in about 1898 by the Minnie and George Chambers family. It <br />was later the residence of the Thompson family and Enrietto family. <br />Development of the Acme Place Subdivision <br />In 1893, John Connell, who had helped to establish the Acme Mine at what is now the corner of <br />Roosevelt and Hutchinson, platted the residential subdivision of Acme Place. It covered what <br />are now the 500 blocks of Lincoln, Grant, Jefferson, and La Farge Avenues. The Acme Place <br />subdivision was only the fourth addition to Original Louisville and was likely developed due to <br />its proximity to the Acme Mine that was started in 1888. The 1909 Drumm's Wall Map of <br />Louisville shows that the 500 blocks of Lincoln and Grant were well populated with houses by <br />1909, but the 500 blocks of Jefferson and La Farge, which were located quite close to the mine <br />and parts of which were within the fenced enclosure, had fewer houses at that time. Boulder <br />County Property records indicate that the land that Connell used to establish Acme Place had <br />been acquired directly from the Acme Coal Mining Company. <br />Chambers Family Ownership of Property and Other Early Owners; Discussion of Date of <br />Construction <br />In 1895, John Connell, the developer of the Acme Place subdivision, sold this parcel to Minnie <br />Chambers. It consisted of not only Lots 11 and 12, but also additional lots to the south. Minnie's <br />husband, George Chambers, was an engineer at the nearby Acme Mine. (In 1896, Minnie <br />Chambers sold the additional lots to the south to another Acme Mine engineer, Emanuel <br />Smith.) <br />1 <br />