Laserfiche WebLink
The 1916 Louisville directory lists the United Mine Workers Store at this location with John Sidle <br />as manager. Although little is known of this establishment, its existence appears to have been <br />confirmed by Henry "Rico" Zarini (1889-1982), who in a 1975 oral history interview stated that <br />the miners' union operated a "commissary" at this location, selling food at cost to miners and <br />their families. <br />Based on information in the 1921 Louisville directory, it appears that the Mountain States <br />Telephone & Telegraph was located in the building on the right of this parcel, and also at that <br />address was Tony D'Orio's shoemaker / shoe repair business. <br />Tony D'Orio's business appears in many directories from the 1910s to the early 1930s as being <br />located in this approximate location, but he appears to have rented and not owned the <br />property, and Louisville addresses had not yet been standardized, making this difficult to verify. <br />There is no business listing for him between 1926 and 1930, which suggests that he was <br />displaced by the 1926 fire. However, his business reappeared in this vicinity by 1930. <br />1926 Fire and History of the Buildings to 1955 <br />In 1926, a fire damaged or destroyed the buildings on the south part of the east side of the 800 <br />block of Main Street. This fire is believed to have affected the building on the south part of this <br />particular parcel and led to the buildings being remodeled in about 1928. <br />From the 1930s until the early 1950s, there were two distinct businesses at this site, with the <br />buildings touching one another and the building on the left being slightly larger. For many or <br />most of these years, the business on the left was a billiard hall and the business on the right <br />was a barber shop. <br />In the 1930s, the billiard hall was operated by William "Buck" La Salle. He also purchased the <br />property from Jane Williams. (The deed was recorded in 1937, but the sale may have been <br />dated earlier.) La Salle had been one of the leading baseball players in Boulder County, but was <br />injured in the Centennial Mine while working as a miner. According to his obituary, his pool hall <br />was known as "Buck's Place." Buck La Salle died in 1938 at the age of 45. According to La Salle's <br />two daughters, their father's pool hall and the barber shop next to it were never torn down but <br />were simply remodeled by Anthony Colacci in 1955. <br />Following the 1938 death of Buck La Salle, Buck's wife, Mary La Salle, rented the billiard hall to <br />Buck's brother, Tony "Boney" La Salle. Harry Mayor, who was born in 1918, has written that <br />each the three pool halls that figured in his youth had a distinct character, with Boney's having <br />the younger, boisterous crowd that was involved with baseball teams and the volunteer hose <br />teams. Boney was lenient and allowed Harry and his friends to play a few shots of pool in <br />exchange for racking up a few games of pool, although their mothers had forbidden it. <br />3 <br />