Laserfiche WebLink
Assessor gave 1900 as the date of construction for the Temperance Hall building on the 1948 <br />Assessor card.) However, the Pellillo House at 828 Main that is also part of the Marketplace <br />Building appears (including its old porch) on all three Sanborn maps, the earliest one of which <br />dates to 1893, and on the 1909 Drumm's Wall Map of Louisville at the Museum. This puts the <br />oldest part of the Marketplace Building as having been constructed in 1893 or earlier. (The date <br />of construction of the Pellillo Store, which according to sources may have been incorporated <br />into the Marketplace Building, is not known precisely but was between 1909 and 1920.) <br />As explained below, Toney W. La Salle extended his store on the north part of Lot 9 into the <br />area of the Pellillo Store on the south part of Lot 10 with in the 1950s to make the La Salle <br />Furniture Co. In the early 1980s, the La Salle Furniture building was combined with the Pellillo <br />House to make the Marketplace Building. <br />Northern % of Lot 9 (820 Main) — Temperance Hall, Jacoe Pool Hall <br />According to the Boulder County Assessor's website, this property that previously had the <br />address of 820 Main Street occupies the northern half of Lot 9, Block 2, in Louisville. The County <br />Assessor's records state that the building was built in 1900. Sanborn maps of 1893 and 1900 <br />show a dwelling on the northern half of Lot 9. By the time of the 1908 Sanborn map, the <br />dwelling is gone and there is a larger building abutting Main Street and labeled "Undertaker." It <br />is not known if the larger building constructed between 1900 and 1908 may have incorporated <br />the earlier dwelling. The 1909 Drumm's Wall Map also shows the larger building. <br />Early Owners of North Half of Lot 9. Louis Nawatny was the founder of Louisville in 1878 and <br />the first owner of the lots in original Louisville. Property records reveal that Louis Nawatny sold <br />all of Lot 9 to John Wilson in 1880. The same year, Wilson divided the lot and sold the two parts <br />to two different people, at which point there is confusion as to which part is which in the <br />records. It becomes clear again in the early 1890s, when the property was traced back to the <br />Pack brothers, Andrew and Jacob. It was sold to Sadie and W.T. Metz in 1903. <br />Temperance Hall — 5 years. W.T. (Tom) Metz had a business at this site from approximately <br />1903 to 1908. According to a narrative written by his daughter, he had two barber chairs, a pool <br />table, and two card tables in the building. He also fixed bike tires and sold ice cream, soda, <br />candy, and tobacco. Saloons were not permitted on Main Street at the time; his daughter wrote <br />that he said that he would leave the liquor to the saloons on Front Street. The following photos <br />show Temperance Hall, with the building appearing on the far left in the lower photo: <br />4 <br />