Laserfiche WebLink
For 38 years from 1915 to 1953, 804 Main was the site of The First State Bank of <br />Louisville. (In 1932, bank robbers locked an assistant cashier and two customers in the <br />vault and took $12,000.) Howard Hoyt is said to have responsibly guided the bank <br />through the difficult years of the Depression. G.R. Henning, owner of Henning Mortuary <br />on the other corner of the block (and Mayor of Louisville from 1926 to 1930), was also <br />an important figure at the bank, being President and serving in other capacities. <br />When the bank moved in 1953, 804 Main then became the location for Public Service <br />offices until circa 1990. <br />800 Main was the site of the Hub Store, a popular clothing store, starting in about 1915 <br />and continuing until the 1950s. For much of its existence, this Louisville establishment <br />was the primary destination for local residents to purchase clothing. Managers of the <br />Hub Store over the years are believed to have included J.H Struezel, F.A. Mangus, <br />Anthony Mangus, George A. Webster, O.C. Alderson, and Arthur "Spud" Porta. Exquisite <br />Enterprises was later located at 800 Main. <br />History of Construction and Remodeling <br />There are a number of different dates given in official records for when the building at <br />this site may have been constructed. The County Assessor's records (which frequently <br />have been found to be in error with respect to other downtown Louisville properties) <br />state that the building was constructed in 1952. The Historical Survey done in 2000 gives <br />estimated dates of circa 1890 for the building on the south half of Lot 7 and circa 1910 <br />for the building on the north half of Lot 7. The County Assessor's Card showing Building <br />Description and Value Calculation (kept at the Carnegie Library for Local History in <br />Boulder), date unclear, gives the date of construction as 1900 and indicates that the <br />building was remodeled in 1930. <br />The Sanborn fire insurance maps for Louisville, which were made in the years 1893, <br />1900, and 1908, show this site. The 1893 map shows a "General Merchandise" business <br />in a one-story building on the southern half of Lot 7 (the corner) and an outbuilding. The <br />1900 map shows what appears to be the same building, but enlarged at the back, and <br />additional outbuildings. The 1908 map shows a one-story building labeled as an "office" <br />constructed on the north half of the site. The 1909 Drumm's Wall Map of Louisville at <br />the Museum shows the same buildings on the site as the 1908 Sanborn map shows. <br />The owner of Lot 7 in 1882, Thomas Allenton, operated a "meat market and saloon" out <br />of the corner building during that year. It is likely that this is the same building that <br />appears on the 1893 Sanborn Map. Being in the heart of Original Louisville that was <br />platted by Louisville Nawatny in 1878, and particularly being a corner lot, this lot would <br />logically have been developed very early in the history of the town. <br />2 <br />