Laserfiche WebLink
This lot was purchased by Eusebio Joseph Di Francia in January 1904. He was often referred to as "Joe" <br />or "E.J." The Di Francia name has had such different spellings and usages as DiFrancia, deFrancia, Di <br />Franzia, Di Frangia, Di Frangio, DiFrenchy, Francia, and Franzia. Some called his saloon "Frenchie's." <br />E.J. Di Francia was born in Italy in 1863; he is believed to have come from Castiglione di Carovilli, Isernia, <br />in Italy. He came to the U.S. in 1883 and married Marie Di Domenico, who was a young widow, in 1890. <br />She was born in Italy in 1869 and immigrated in 1880. <br />E.J. and Marie Di Francia had seven children (one son and six daughters) who grew to adulthood. In the <br />photo of the family from the collection of the Louisville Historical Museum, shown below and taken in <br />circa 1914, at the rear, left to right, are: Margaret, Nicholas, Rose, and Theresa; in the center is <br />Philomena; and in the front are Caroline, mother Maria, father Eusebio, and Catherine. <br />It is believed that E.J. Di Francia did well for himself and his family, as they had an unusually large and <br />attractive home at 1045 La Farge Avenue in Louisville. It was one of the few brick buildings in town at <br />the time. <br />E.J. Di Francia appears to have been living in Louisville by 1891 and first operated at least one other <br />saloon in Louisville. In 1891, he purchased Lot 3, Block B, which is just two lots to the south from Lot 1, <br />and soon began to operate a saloon there. To put this in context, people of Italian heritage purchased <br />property in Louisville for the first time in 1890. E.J. Di Francia was clearly one of the very first Italian <br />3 <br />