Laserfiche WebLink
business owners in a town that later became dominated by businesses owned by people of Italian <br />heritage and was one of Colorado's Italian colonies. <br />According to the Boulder Daily Camera (June 16, 1893), "Mr. Francia is building a two story block on First <br />street that will make a fine appearance." The following photo from the Carnegie Branch Library for Local <br />History is believed to show this building with the name of "E.G. Francia." "E.G." would have been the <br />correct initials in Italian for his name (Eusebio Giuseppe, Americanized to Eusebio Joseph). <br />Although the building in the photo appears at first glance to say "1898" at the top, upon close <br />examination, another possibility is that it was the year "1893" that was painted on the building, <br />particularly since the last digit looks slightly different from the "8" that is the second digit. The date of <br />1893 for this building would also be consistent with the 1893 Daily Camera article about Francia's two <br />story saloon being constructed on First Street (today's Front Street). <br />The man standing in the doorway raising a glass of beer is likely Di Francia himself, particularly given his <br />resemblance to E.J. Di Francia in the photo showing the Di Francia family. <br />A saloon owner at this time would have been affiliated with one primary brewery. Di Francia's saloon <br />was affiliated with the Union Brewing Company, which later merged with the Tivoli Brewing Company in <br />1901 to form Tivoli -Union Brewing Co. <br />On June 1, 1896, the Boulder Daily Camera reported that "Joe Francia, the well-known saloon keeper of <br />Louisville, has sold his bar fixtures, etc., to his brother-in-law and rival, Fabrizio, and his lot and buildings <br />to the Union Brewing company of Denver and started yesterday afternoon for Italy on a three months' <br />trip." <br />4 <br />