My WebLink
|
Help
|
About
|
Sign Out
Home
Browse
Search
1000 E South Boulder Rd History
PORTAL
>
HISTORICAL RECORDS (50.000)
>
ADDRESS HISTORIES
>
South Boulder Road Address Histories
>
1000 E South Boulder Rd History
Metadata
Thumbnails
Annotations
Entry Properties
Last modified
12/20/2021 2:59:57 PM
Creation date
11/21/2018 9:22:49 AM
Metadata
Fields
Template:
CITYWIDE
Doc Type
Historical Records
Subdivision Name
Coal Creek Station Filing 2
Property Address Number
1000
Property Address Street Name
South Boulder
Quality Check
11/21/2018
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
Laserfiche.
All rights reserved.
/
5
PDF
Print
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
Show annotations
View images
View plain text
Founding of the Gandy Dancer Restaurant in 1972 <br />Coal Creek Station and the establishment of a restaurant made from rail cars as part of <br />this development were the endeavors of Clifford Brock; his mother, Eva Brock; and <br />William Arnold. They purchased at least part of the real property for the Coal Creek <br />Station development in 1969 and formed the A & B Company. In 1972, they filed the <br />trade name affidavit for the name "Coal Creek Station" with the County. <br />Eva Brock was a well known realtor in the Boulder -Louisville area. The agency she <br />established is credited with having planned developments between Baseline and South <br />Boulder Rd. in the vicinity of 76th St. Her son, Clifford, also worked in the realty business <br />and had a construction business. William Arnold was affiliated with the Arnold Bros. <br />Motor Company of Boulder. <br />According to a recent interview with Clifford Brock, the idea to make a train-themed <br />restaurant next to the railroad tracks evolved out of a desire to turn a negative into a <br />positive. Brock and the other owners thought that people generally wouldn't want to be <br />situated next to trains going by. The purpose of having a train-themed restaurant by the <br />tracks was "to make it enjoyable instead of an eyesore." <br />Brock described some of the challenges of developing this area. A railroad trash dump <br />was located on the narrow piece of land between the main tracks and a railroad spur <br />leaving the main tracks to go eastward. This spur was located immediately north of the <br />houses on Harper Street in the Little Italy neighborhood. The trash dump had been used <br />by the railroad for getting rid of trash from trains going through this area. The dump had <br />to be leveled and the trash disposed of. <br />Brock also stated that in the early 1970s, the City of Louisville required the investors to <br />bring in a drilling rig to conduct drilling tests to determine whether there were <br />underground voids due to coal mining that historically took place under the surface of <br />this property. <br />In 1971, Brock checked around to find out about the availability of old train cars. He <br />originally acquired four boxcars and one caboose that were placed at the site. The two <br />boxcars that are still at the site were purchased from the Colorado Southern Railroad <br />Company. Available information indicates that the cars belonged to a crew that built <br />bridges. One car was originally a shower car with a potbelly stove. The second car has <br />been described as either a sleeping car or a tool storage car. The cars were transported <br />to Louisville on the main railroad line. <br />The caboose was purchased from the Santa Fe Railway. It is said to have been <br />transported to Louisville by flatbed semi -truck. <br />2 <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.