My WebLink
|
Help
|
About
|
Sign Out
Home
Browse
Search
1409 Courtesy Rd History
PORTAL
>
HISTORICAL RECORDS (50.000)
>
ADDRESS HISTORIES
>
Courtesy Rd Address Histories
>
1409 Courtesy Rd History
Metadata
Thumbnails
Annotations
Entry Properties
Last modified
12/20/2021 2:13:31 PM
Creation date
11/21/2018 9:24:39 AM
Metadata
Fields
Template:
CITYWIDE
Doc Type
Historical Records
Subdivision Name
Caledonia Place
Property Address Number
1409
Property Address Street Name
Courtesy
Quality Check
11/21/2018
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
Laserfiche.
All rights reserved.
/
6
PDF
Print
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
Show annotations
View images
View plain text
The 1909 Drumm's Wall Map of Louisville shows that what is now Courtesy Rd. (or Highway 42) <br />was called East Street at that time. The neighborhood in which 1409 Courtesy Rd. is located is <br />known as Little Italy. The 1909 Drumm's Map shows about twenty homes in the area of Little <br />Italy, and about the same number of homes continued to make up the neighborhood for <br />several decades to follow. The particularly high concentration of Italians in Little Italy and the <br />separation of the neighborhood from the rest of the town due to the railroad tracks led to the <br />formation of a close neighborhood and to cultural practices that endured for decades, such as <br />winemaking by many residents using grapes that were delivered directly into the neighborhood <br />by truck. The Caledonia Mine was located in the area between Little Italy and Miners Field on <br />the west side of Highway 42 and was opened in 1890, the same year in which the Caledonia <br />Place Addition was platted. The mine closed in 1899. <br />In 1911, Henry Waneka conveyed the house to his wife, Caroline. In the 1916 and 1918 <br />residential directories for Louisville, the Henry and Caroline Waneka family were listed as <br />residents of 902 East Street, which would have been the original address of 1409 Courtesy, <br />under Louisville's old address system. <br />In 1920, Caroline Waneka, age 42, was living at 1409 Courtesy Rd. with her younger son, <br />George, age 15. George worked as a farm laborer while "Lena" Waneka worked in the home as <br />a dressmaker. Two renters of the house were also listed: Ila Clark, age 19, and her baby son, <br />Francis Clark. Henry Waneka's whereabouts at this time could not be determined. In 1921, <br />Caroline Waneka sold the house at 1409 Courtesy to Anna Cornelius. <br />Cornelius Ownership, 1921-1936 <br />Anna Cornelius purchased 1409 Courtesy in 1921. Anna Cornelius, whose maiden name has not <br />been found, was married to Ira Cornelius. Anna was born in about 1881 and her background <br />was German. Ira was born in Kansas in 1879. The Cornelius family came to this part of Colorado <br />from Ohio and Kansas in the late 1800s. Federal census records for 1930 show that they were <br />living at 1409 Courtesy Rd. The family consisted of Ira, age 51; Anna, age 48; and their son <br />Harold, age 23. An obituary on file at the Louisville Historical Museum shows that another child, <br />Ronald, died in 1924 at age 11 due to being thrown from a horse in Lafayette. In about 1936, <br />the Cornelius family moved to a house on Lincoln Ave. in Louisville. <br />Ira Cornelius was a mason and plasterer, as his father, Chris Cornelius, had been. Son Harold <br />(1907-1968) also became a plasterer. In fact, according to later resident and owner Edward <br />Domenico, the initials "H.C." appear on the walls of the basement at 1409 Courtesy, perhaps <br />indicating that this was the work of Harold Cornelius. <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.