Laserfiche WebLink
Historic Preservation Commission <br />Meeting Minutes <br />December 15, 2008 <br />Page 2 of 7 <br />Muth reported that the property owners, Michael Schonbrun and Susan Juroe, applied <br />for a demolition permit on October 21, 2008 for the demolition of 1800 Plaza Drive and <br />1870 Plaza Drive as well as various out buildings on the two sites. <br />Prior to the subcommittee review, staff determined that the home at 1870 Plaza Drive <br />was built after 1958 and did not warrant a review by the HPC. In addition, staff does not <br />have enough information on the build dates of the various out buildings on the site to <br />know when they were built. As such, no review was completed on those buildings. The <br />demolition permits for 1870 Plaza Drive and the various out buildings have been <br />released. <br />Subcommittee members Tofte, Whiteman, and Muth toured the site on November 10, <br />2008 and determined that the home may be eligible for local landmarking under <br />Ordinance No. 1463, Series 2005 Sections 15.36.050 (A) and (B). The building's <br />architectural integrity is very strong. The enclosed front porch could easily be restored to <br />its original state and the rear addition to the home has little impact on the architecture or <br />character of the original building. The facade of the building is still clearly identifiable as <br />the same building in old photos from the Hecla Mine. More obvious and of particular <br />interest is the building's social history. As the building w~ the former casino and brothel <br />for the Hecla Mine, its social history is considered significant and it would very likely <br />qualify for landmarking. A stay was placed on the demolition permit request and a public <br />hearing was scheduled for December 15. <br />Muth stated that all required public notices had been completed and the applicant has <br />been invited to attend the hearing and give additional information. <br />Muth reminded the Commission that it may vote to either release the demolition permit <br />or hold the permit for the remainder of the 180-day period. In this case, the 180-day <br />period would expire April 19, 2009. In that 180-day period, the Commission and <br />applicant may work to find an alternative to demolition. If no alternative is found by April <br />19, 2009, the demolition permit will be released and applicant is then free to demolish <br />the building. <br />Muth gave the following staff recommendation: Given the strong social history and the <br />architectural integrity of the building, staff recommends the Commission place a stay on <br />the demolition permit. Staff recommends that the site be adaptively reused if at all <br />possible and asks the applicant to consider ways to incorporate the building into future <br />uses on the site. Given the size of the building, there are many ways it could be reused. <br />As the exterior of the site is specifically considered historic, the interior could be <br />completely changed or remodeled to be reused in any manner the applicant requires. <br />Should a use on the existing site not be an option, staff recommends the owner attempt <br />to find a new location for the building either on his property or with another land owner in <br />the area. <br />Muth noted that additional research materials had been included in the packet for review <br />and reminded the members of the relevant criteria on which their decision is to be <br />based. <br />Lewis asked for the applicant presentation. <br />