Laserfiche WebLink
Bridget Bacon <br />Louisville Historical Museum <br />Department of Library & Museum Services <br />City of Louisville, Colorado <br />March 2020 <br />Cityoj <br />Louisville <br />COLORADO • SINCE 1878 <br />105 Roosevelt Ave. History <br />Legal Description: Lots 15-17 & 10 feet of a vacated alley, Block 4, Johnson's 15t Subdivision in <br />Louisville. <br />Year of Construction: 1952 <br />Summary: The Rotar family built this house on the parcel after the original house was either <br />torn down or moved away. <br />Development of the Johnson's First Addition <br />Johnson's 1st Addition was platted in 1890 by Mahlon V. Johnson. It was the second residential <br />subdivision to be platted, after the Jefferson Place Addition was platted in 1880. (It consists of <br />two separate sections that do not border one another, though both abut Roosevelt.) <br />Mahlon V. "Ajax" Johnson was a Denver -based coal mine operator who started the Ajax Coal <br />Mining Co. in 1889 and served as its president. According to 1889 articles in Denver <br />newspapers, the original intent was to establish a new town by Louisville to be called "Ajaxville" <br />with proximity to the new Ajax Mine. (A USGS map shows that the Ajax Mine shaft was located <br />about 1,000 feet to the west of 105 Roosevelt, at Hoover & Lois Dr.) However, instead, Johnson <br />platted this subdivision that became part of the town of Louisville. <br />Original Building on This Site <br />Originally, there was another building on this parcel, and it was on Lot 15 (the lot that is the <br />farthest south) as opposed to the current house that is on the north side of the parcel. The <br />original building was constructed in 1896, according to Boulder County records. This building <br />also appears in that particular location on the 1909 Drumm's Wall Map of Louisville. A photo of <br />this now -gone building taken in 1948 from the County Assessor's records is shown here: <br />1 <br />