My WebLink
|
Help
|
About
|
Sign Out
Home
Browse
Search
601 Lincoln Ave History
PORTAL
>
HISTORICAL RECORDS (50.000)
>
ADDRESS HISTORIES
>
Lincoln Ave Address Histories
>
601 Lincoln Ave History
Metadata
Thumbnails
Annotations
Entry Properties
Last modified
12/20/2021 2:56:15 PM
Creation date
2/19/2021 1:19:05 PM
Metadata
Fields
Template:
CITYWIDE
Doc Type
Historical Records
Subdivision Name
Pleasant Hill Addition
Property Address Number
601
Property Address Street Name
Lincoln
Quality Check
2/19/2021
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
Laserfiche.
All rights reserved.
/
5
PDF
Print
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
Show annotations
View images
View plain text
2 <br /> <br />lots and five other lots to local real estate developer Charles Wolfer in 1903, the price was less than $40 <br />per lot. Then the sale price for the two lots in October 1904 was $140. However, in May 1906, jumped to <br />$1200. Although we may never know the full story of why the figure was so high, this information does <br />seem to suggest that a dwelling had been constructed on the lots in the interim between sales. <br /> <br />No other relevant information that might shed light on the construction date could be found , except <br />that the house appears on the 1909 Drumm’s Wall Map of Louisville, so it was definitely built by 1909. <br />For these reasons, the date of construction is assumed to be “circa 1905.” <br /> <br />Dalby Family Ownership, 1906-1976 <br /> <br />George Dalby (1878-1947) purchased these lots in the Pleasant Hill Addition in 1906. According to The <br />Louisville Times in 1946, he had come with his family from Iowa to Louisville when he was 14, in about <br />1892. <br /> <br />In 1900, George married Jane Elsdon. They had four children: Edward (1901 -1930), Clara (1902-1928), <br />Grace (Davies) (1904-1996), and Joe (1911-1997). They all lived at 601 Lincoln. According to Louisville <br />directories and the 1920 federal census, George’s father, James Dalby (1851 -1925) also made his home <br />at 601 Lincoln in the 1910s and early 1920s. <br /> <br />At about the same time as when George Dalby purchased 601 Lincoln, and by most accounts in about <br />1905-1907, he became a merchant and went into the retail business in Louisville with three of his <br />cousins, who were Frank Carveth, Edwin Carveth, and James Arthur Carveth. <br /> <br />They moved their business into the existing State Mercantile Building at 801 Main St. in about 1909. For <br />the next 60 years, the building was known as the “Carveth Bros. & Dalby” or the “Dalby’s Supermarket” <br />building and it was one of the most prominent downtown businesses and buildings during that time. <br /> <br />Edwin died in 1909 and the other partners bought out his interest. In 1918, James Arthur sold his <br />interest to the others and Emma Harris. In 1920, upon the death of Frank Carveth, George Dalby and <br />Emma Harris bought out his interest and became the only partners in the business, which continued to <br />be called “Carveth Bros. & Dalby.” A Louisville Times article from the 1940s indicated that George Dalby <br />held the majority interest from 1920 until his son took over the business in 1946. <br /> <br />George Dalby was injured in the same accident in 1920 that killed his cousin, Frank Carveth, and his <br />brother, Frank Dalby. On Labor Day in 1920, two Interurban trains had a head -on collision in Globeville, <br />just north of Denver. The train on its way to Denver was filled with Louisville residents, many of whom <br />were on their way to see a Louisville native son, Toney W. LaSalle, play baseball in the championship <br />game of the Denver Post Baseball Tournament. The crash killed 13 people, seven of who were from <br />Louisville. It also injured about 40 others from Louisville, including George Dalby. <br /> <br />The following photo shows George Dalby on the left of three men standing in front of the Stoiber store <br />at 813 Main, two doors up from his store at 801 Main. (A photo of Jane Dalby could not be located for <br />this report. Photos of the Dalby children are viewable in the Museum’s online photo collection.) <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.