Laserfiche WebLink
2 <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br />This entire Frenchtown neighborhood was separated from the main business section of the <br />town by the Acme Mine Dump that blocked Main Street as it led to the rest of the town. The <br />Acme Mine closed in 1928. In 1933, the mine dump was leveled. This opened access and likely <br />made these lots more desirable for residential structures. <br /> <br />In 1935, John Unger sold Lots 1-4 to Otto Schreiter. <br /> <br />Schreiter Family Ownership, 1935 - 1975; Date of Construction <br /> <br />In 1935, Otto Schreiter (1907-1987) purchased the four lots, 1-4 in Block 1 of Murphy Place. Six <br />years earlier, he had married Mary Peggy Varra (1907-2003). He worked as a carpenter and in <br />construction as well as working as a millworker, and it is believed that he constructed the house <br />at 832 Parkview on Lots 3 & 4. Lots 1 & 2 comprised the side yard. The Schreiters had been <br />living with his parents on their farm just south of Louisville prior to moving into 832 Parkview. <br /> <br />Boulder County gives 1935 as the date of construction for both the house and garage/workshop <br />at 832 Parkview. Boulder County has been found to be in error with respect to the date of <br />construction of some Louisville buildings, so other evidence is looked to. In this case, no <br />evidence indicating an earlier construction date could be located. Also, the fact that Otto <br />Schreiter purchased the parcel in 1935 lends credence to 1935 as the likely construction date. <br />The 1936 Louisville directory shows the family to be living on Main, which is a likely reference <br />to this house located on the corner of Main & Parkview, <br /> <br />Otto and Mary Schreiter are shown on the 1940 federal census as living at 832 Parkview with <br />their daughters, Alice and Dorothy, who were at that time ages 6 and 3. (A son, Curt, was born <br />later.) Their house was valued at $2,500 in the census listing, which was high compared with <br />other homes in Louisville listed on the 1940 census.