Laserfiche WebLink
3 <br /> <br />Alvina Foss Pollock’s son Howard was born in 1939 and he married Mary Ann Waschak of <br />Louisville in 1958. In January 1961, Alvina sold them the Foss family lots at 834 Lincoln Ave. As <br />reported in the April 21, 1961 issue of the Louisville Times, they then purchased a two-bedroom <br />cinder block house and had it moved to their lot at 834 Lincoln Ave. <br /> <br />In a phone interview in January 2021, Mary Ann Pollock described the circumstances leading up <br />to their moving of a house to the parcel at 834 Lincoln Ave. She stated that she and Howard <br />had been looking for a house to buy, and they learned that a lot of houses were being sold and <br />relocated from a particular neighborhood in Denver. They arranged to purchase the house and <br />move it from its location at 1st and Steele in Denver. They located a house mover and arranged <br />with Louisville contractor Alvin Fischer to put in a foundation for the house. <br /> <br />According to the Pollocks, this house and other houses were being cleared away from the <br />vicinity of 1st and Steele to make way for a shopping center. Based on that location, it appears <br />that this may have been Cherry Creek Shopping Center, which was established in about 1949 as <br />one of the first pedestrian shopping malls in the country, according to online sources. The <br />shopping center was later expanded and this may have led to the need to clear away houses for <br />further development of the area. <br /> <br />Boulder County gives 1950 as the date of construction of the relocated house that was moved <br />in 1961 to 834 Lincoln. Boulder County has sometimes been found to be in error with respect to <br />the construction dates of Louisville buildings, so normally, other evidence is looked to. In this <br />case, with the house having been originally built in a different locale, other evidence of a <br />construction date could not be located. However, the cinder block construction and house <br />design seem to be consistent with a 1950 construction date. Therefore, in the absence of other <br />evidence, the construction date is assumed to be 1950. <br /> <br />When the house movers brought the house from Denver, they brought it on County Road down <br />Murphy Hill into downtown Louisville (just south-southeast of today’s Community Park). Mary <br />Ann Pollock described the hill as being steep and the weather that day as being windy. The <br />Pollocks waited at the bottom of the hill to watch the progress and make sure that the house <br />made it down the hill. She described it as “scary but exciting” and she remembered hoping that <br />the house would fit on the new foundation. <br /> <br />She also described the cinder block house as having been well-built, with walls 12 inches thick. <br />She stated that they did not tear anything down, but they added to it, including adding a family <br />room, bedroom, and deck. She stated that they remade the existing small house at the rear of <br />the property into a garage. <br /> <br />The following photo and ground layout are from the County Assessor card and show the house <br />in 1961, soon after it was moved to 834 Lincoln: <br />