Laserfiche WebLink
Balent came from Slovakia in the 1880s. In 1897, John Balent married Annie Letavec <br />(sometimes spelled Litavec) (1881-1970) in Louisville. The following is their wedding photo: <br />ell <br />Annie Letavec was also from a Slovak family, her parents having immigrated to the U.S. a few <br />years before she was born in Colorado. The Letavec family established themselves in Louisville <br />by 1893 and they lived on La Farge Avenue. Census and directory records indicate that John and <br />Annie Balent and their three children initially lived for several years with Annie's parents on La <br />Farge. John and Annie Balent's children were John (1898-1969), Albert (1902-1990), and Ella <br />Ann (1904-1983). <br />Boulder County gives 1900 as the date of construction of 829 Lincoln, on both the Assessor <br />Card from 1948 and on its current website. Boulder County has sometimes been found to be in <br />error with respect to the construction dates of Louisville buildings, so other evidence is looked <br />to. In this case, it seems most likely that the house was constructed in or soon after 1906, which <br />is the year in which the developer sold it to Balent. The 1909 Drumm's Wall Map of Louisville <br />shows the house in the correct location, so it seems clear that it was constructed by 1909. <br />Based on this evidence, the likely date of construction was circa 1906-1909. <br />The 1910 census records show the Balent family to be renting on Spruce Street, and apparently <br />closer to downtown than where 829 Lincoln is located. It is possible that the family was still <br />living in the Letavec house on La Farge, near Spruce, and renting out the house at 829 Lincoln. <br />The 1916 Louisville directory is the first available directory giving addresses, and it shows that <br />the Balents were living at 829 Lincoln, under its former address of 330 Lincoln. (Louisville's <br />address system changed in 1939. The address of 330 Lincoln under Louisville's old address <br />system is believed to correlate with the current address of 829 Lincoln, as even address <br />numbers became odd, odds became evens, and the new addresses reflected a an addition of <br />the number 500 to the address.) <br />John Balent left Louisville in around 1916, but he left his mark on the community from his time <br />in the town. After some time working as a coal miner, a job to which he appears to have <br />returned from time to time, in the early 1900s John Balent began to operate a saloon on Front <br />Street, near other saloons that made up an important part of Louisville's economy at the time. <br />It was located at what is today the site of the corner plaza of the Louisville Public Library. The <br />owner of the saloon property was the Ph. Zang Brewing Company, which had taken ownership <br />of it after, apparently, the previous owner who had a saloon there defaulted on a secured loan <br />from the brewing company. The Ph. [Phillip] Zang Brewing Company was headquartered in <br />Denver and was a major beer manufacturer in the West. <br />2 <br />