Laserfiche WebLink
Milo Ownership, 1947-1954; Discussion of Date of Construction <br />Tom Milo purchased the property at 555 County Rd. in 1947. He was born in Macedonia in 1888 <br />or 1891 (by different accounts) and came to the U.S. in 1907. Census records place him in <br />southern Colorado in 1920, and recorded County records show that by 1924, he was working as <br />a miner at the Monarch Mine just to the south of Old Town Louisville. The federal census <br />records for 1930 and 1940 place him at what appears in both cases to be the Monarch Mine <br />camp, where his monthly rent in 1930 (split with another miner) was $4 per month and in 1940 <br />was $3 per month. Items in Louisville Times issues in 1944 and 1945 stated that in the process <br />of his becoming a U.S. citizen, his name was officially changed from Tripon Miloshoff to Thomas <br />Milo, the name that he was already going by. <br />The Boulder County website gives the date of construction of the original part of this house as <br />being 1950. Since Boulder County records are sometimes in error with respect to the <br />construction dates of historic buildings in Louisville, other evidence needs to be looked to. <br />Most typically, a construction date given on the Boulder County website for a Louisville <br />structure draws directly from the 1948 County Assessor card for that property. In this case, <br />however, the 1948 County Assessor card does not give a date, but the fact that that there was a <br />card filled out for the house at 555 County Rd. in 1948 suggests that a house must have been <br />standing on the lot at that time. <br />Also, the County's date of 1950 contradicts other information acquired from interviews of <br />former Monarch Mine camp residents to the effect that Tom Milo, a miner at the Monarch <br />Mine, moved the house to 555 County Rd. from the Monarch Mine camp in about 1947 when <br />that mine closed. This would mean that the house had to have been built before that time. (The <br />Monarch Mine opened in 1908, and its camp was a longtime place of residence for workers and <br />their families. This mine camp is believed to have originally had approximately twenty houses at <br />its location across US 36 to the north from Flatiron Crossing Mall.) This information about Milo <br />having moved 555 County from the Monarch Mine camp was obtained from the May 2007 <br />interview of Dorothy Berry Varra (1920-2018), Phyllis Berry Waters (1923-2020), and Wes Berry <br />(1931-2013), were siblings who grew up in and around the camp. <br />(For more information about the common practice of relocating buildings, see the "Here Today <br />and There Tomorrow: Louisville and Its History of Relocating Buildings" in the Fall 2011 issue of <br />the Louisville Historian. Another building known to have been relocated from the Monarch <br />Mine camp was the one that stood next to 555 County Rd. at 557 County Rd., which was moved <br />there by the Davis family, according to Jay Davis in a 2005 interview.) <br />Tom Milo first appears in Louisville directories as living at 555 County Rd. in 1949, another <br />apparent indication that the house was there before 1950. <br />3 <br />