Laserfiche WebLink
SUMMARY: <br />The applicant requests a finding of probable cause for landmark designation to allow for <br />funding of a historic structure assessment for 1016 Main Street. Under Resolution No. <br />17, Series 2019, a property may be eligible for reimbursement for a historic structure <br />assessment (HSA) from the Historic Preservation Fund (HPF) if the Historic <br />Preservation Commission finds "probable cause to believe the building may be eligible <br />for landmarking under the criteria in section 15.36.050 of the Louisville Municipal Code." <br />Further, "a finding of probable cause under this Section is solely for the purposes of <br />action on the pre-landmarking building assessment grant request, and such finding shall <br />not be binding upon the HPC, City Council or other party to a landmarking hearing." <br />HISTORICAL BACKGROUND: <br />Information from Gigi Yang, Louisville Historical Museum <br />The history of 1016 Main exemplifies the modest lives of Louisville residents in the late <br />19th and 20th centuries. The property was used by several generations of the Ashe and <br />Petrelli families as a source of rental income and as a home. It provides a distinctive <br />example of mail-order house construction and of the building industry. <br />The exact year of construction cannot be determined. Boulder County Records give <br />1910 as the house's date of construction, however, the County Assessor Card notes the <br />house was 55 years old in 1950, placing the earliest date of construction at 1895. <br />Numerous resources indicate that the house was constructed from a Sears and <br />Roebuck kit. The Sears Catalog of Modern Homes, selling do-it-yourself kits for building <br />a house, was available from 1908-1948, which would bring the earliest date of <br />construction to 1908. <br />Mary Quillian Ashe purchased the home in 1910, after having previously lived as a next - <br />door neighbor. Mary and her husband, Thomas Gregory Ashe, who was a <br />superintendent of the Lucas mine near Broomfield, moved to Texas with their six sons <br />in 1911. However, the Ashe family retained ownership of the house for the next 27 <br />years and used it as a rental until Mary's death in 1934. <br />In 1938, the Ashe family sold the home to Victor and Mary Petrelli. Victor was born in <br />Italy and came to the US in 1910. Mary was of Italian descent and born in New Jersey. <br />The Petrellis spent their early years of marriage in Italy until coming back to the United <br />States with their two sons. They moved from Wyoming to Louisville after purchasing the <br />house at 1016 Main, and Victor and his eldest son, Eugene, found work at the Louisville <br />Lafayette Coal Company. During World War II, Victor worked as a loader at the <br />Centennial mine. Mary passed away in 1948 and Victor in 1961. The Petrelli family <br />retained ownership of the property until 1982, when their three sons sold the property. <br />Please see the attached Social History Report for a more detailed history. <br />