Laserfiche WebLink
SUMMARY: <br />The applicant requests finding probable cause for landmark designation to allow for <br />funding of a historic structure assessment for 833 LaFarge Avenue. Under Resolution <br />No. 17, Series 2019, a property may be eligible for reimbursement for a historic <br />structure assessment (HSA) from the Historic Preservation Fund (HPF) if the Historic <br />Preservation Commission finds "probable cause to believe the building may be eligible <br />for landmarking under the criteria in section 15.36.050 of the Louisville Municipal Code." <br />Further, "a finding of probable cause under this Section is solely for the purposes of <br />action on the pre-landmarking building assessment grant request, and such finding shall <br />not be binding upon the HPC, City Council or other party to a landmarking hearing." <br />HISTORICAL BACKGROUND: <br />Information from Gigi Yang and Bridget Bacon, Louisville Historical Museum <br />The history of 833 La Farge provides significant insight into the religious and community <br />life of Louisville residents. This location was the original site for the St. Louis Catholic <br />Church and later for the United Pentecostal Church of Louisville. Most notable is the <br />construction of the Pentecostal (Apostolic) Church which was built completely by <br />members of the Parish over several years. <br />The current property at 833 La Farge was built for the Apostolic Church between 1947- <br />1949. However, the site was the original home of the St. Louis Catholic Church between <br />1884-1944. Louisville's original St. Louis Catholic Church was located on this parcel and <br />contributed to the community life of this block of Jefferson Place on which so many <br />Italian Catholic families lived. The new St. Louis Church was constructed and relocated <br />to 902 Grant in 1940-42 after years of fundraising. <br />The old St. Louis Church at 833 LaFarge was torn down in 1945 and work began by the <br />United Pentecostal Church to build a new building on the site from the ground up. Under <br />the direction of pastor Mark Baughman, the building was primarily constructed by ten <br />men and boys of the parish who volunteered their time and worked on the construction <br />of the building in the evenings and on Saturdays. Women in the parish also worked to <br />raise financial support. The first service was held in the basement in October of 1948. <br />Construction on the upstairs began in 1949 and was completed in time for Christmas in <br />1950. The parish consisted of 42 members in 1948. According to a Louisville Times <br />article from 1952, the building was 30' x 50' and included baptistry, Sunday School <br />rooms, and a parsonage. <br />As late as 2000, the First Pentecostal Church was listed in the Louisville Times as a <br />place of worship, however, information on exactly when it stopped being used for <br />services could not be identified. The Apostolic, or Pentecostal, Church owned this <br />property until 2004 when the property was sold to Forrestine C Sutton. In 2008, <br />Louisville City Council approved an adaptive reuse of 833 La Farge as a private <br />residence. <br />Please see the attached Social History Report for a more detailed history. <br />