Laserfiche WebLink
Louisville Historical Museum <br />Department of Library & Museum Services <br />City of Louisville, Colorado <br />March 2012 <br />City�fIE <br />Louisville <br />COLORADO • SINCE 1878 <br />Louisville Grain Elevator History <br />Address: 540 County Road, Louisville, Colorado <br />Legal Description: Referred to as Tract 712, Louisville <br />Year of Construction: Likely 1905-06 (see discussion) <br />Summary: This building is considered to be one of the area's last remaining wooden grain elevators. It <br />was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986 due to the elevator being "historically and <br />visually the most significant structure associated with the agricultural history of the community." It is <br />also listed on the Colorado Register of Historic Places. Its stacked plank construction style is considered <br />to be rare. <br />This building was constructed by John K. Mullen, an Irish immigrant who built and operated a number of <br />grain elevators in Colorado in his capacity as President of the Colorado Milling & Elevator Co. Besides <br />being associated with John K. Mullen, the building was also associated with the Moore and Thomas <br />families. The elevator was managed for about 35 years by Louisville resident Howard A. Moore and then <br />his son, Donald Moore. In 1957, it was purchased by Louisville residents Charles Thomas and Quentin <br />Thomas. Charles Thomas was the brother-in-law of Donald Moore. <br />As shown below, this building is connected with not only Boulder County's agricultural heritage, but is <br />also connected with the area's railroad history, mining history, and the history of the Irish in Colorado. It <br />was owned by an outsider before it became a locally owned Louisville business several decades later. It <br />is located in Louisville's historic downtown area. <br />Every attempt has been made in the writing of this report to give accurate factual information, to <br />discontinue the use of incorrect information that has occasionally cropped up in past reports about the <br />building, and to compile in this document all of the available information about the structure's history. <br />1 <br />