Laserfiche WebLink
Louisville Historical Museum <br />Department of Library & Museum Services <br />City of Louisville, Colorado <br />December 2014 <br />LCityof <br />Louisville <br />CQ1.ORADO • SINC1: I h7S <br />1001 Lincoln Ave. History <br />Legal Description: Lots 1 & 2, Block 4, Capitol Hill Addition <br />Year of Construction: circa 1907 <br />Summary: This was the home of Katie and Hugh Hoye for ten years starting in 1910, <br />followed by owner Henry Robinson. Robinson and members of his family owned the <br />property from 1920 until 1971. <br />History of the Capitol Hill Addition <br />J.C. Williams, who was a mine superintendent with the Rocky Mountain Fuel Company, <br />and Irving Elberson, who was a banker, were the developers of the Capitol Hill Addition. <br />The plat for this addition was filed with the County in 1904. <br />Chambers Ownership, 1904-1910, and Discussion of Date of Construction <br />In 1904, Chambers purchased Lots 1 and 2, and also several additional lots on Block 4, <br />from the developers, Williams & Elberson. The longtime Chambers family residence up <br />the street from 1001 Lincoln today has the address of 1041 Lincoln. George Chambers <br />(1856-1933) worked as an engineer at the Acme Mine. <br />In 1907, George Chambers and John A. Corrigan, who was a physician who lived and <br />worked in Louisville, granted a lien statement to McAllister Lumber for the lots on Block <br />4. (The nature of Corrigan's ownership interest in 1001 Lincoln could not, however, be <br />established, possibly due to a misspelling of his name in the online County legal records <br />that make it difficult to find his name on the relevant property documents.) <br />The County gives the year 1910 as the date of construction for this house on the current <br />County Assessor website and on the Assessor card completed in 1948. However, the <br />County is sometimes in error with respect to the dates of construction of Louisville <br />buildings, so other evidence is looked to. The subdivision was platted in 1904 and the <br />lots were sold the same year to George Chambers, who also purchased other lots in this <br />1 <br />