Laserfiche WebLink
Louisville Historical Museum <br />Department of Library & Museum Services <br />City of Louisville, Colorado <br />April 2018 <br />Iu Cityr <br />Om Louisville <br />COLORADO . SINCE 1878 <br />1008 Jefferson Ave. History <br />Legal Description: Lots 3 & 4, Block 1, Capitol Hill Addition <br />Year of Construction: 1925 <br />Summary: James Fenolia and Celia Bottinelli Fenolia had this home built in 1924-25, and <br />it was their home and was owned by members of the Fenolia family continuously for 63 <br />years. James Fenolia was the Louisville Postmaster for nearly 30 of those years. <br />History of the Capitol Hill Addition <br />J.C. Williams, who was a mine superintendent with the Rocky Mountain Fuel Company, <br />and Irving Elberson, who was a banker, were the developers of the Capitol Hill Addition. <br />The plat for this addition was filed with the County in 1904. <br />Earliest Ownership of the Property, 1904-1924 <br />Online County property records show that Robert Tallon purchased Lots 1, 2, 3, & 4 <br />from the developers, Irving Elberson and J.C. Williams, in 1906. Today, houses at 1000 <br />and 1008 Jefferson sit on these lots. <br />In 1911, William "Ross" Johnston (1868-1943) and Julia E. Lenihan Johnston (1863-1936) <br />purchased the four lots. (In some records, their surname is stated as Johnson.) By that <br />year, the house at 1000 Jefferson had already been constructed on Lots 1 & 2. Ross and <br />Julia Johnston lived at 1000 Jefferson for many years. Lots 3 & 4, which would later <br />become 1008 Jefferson, are believed to have comprised a large side yard for 1000 <br />Jefferson. <br />In 1924, Ross Johnston and Julia Johnston sold Lots 3 & 4 to James Fenolia and Celia <br />Bottinelli Fenolia, who had been married in 1922 and who had a young child. It was the <br />Fenolias who then had the house built at 1008 Jefferson. (The Johnstons and the <br />1 <br />