Laserfiche WebLink
Louisville Historical Museum <br />Department of Library & Museum Services <br />City of Louisville, Colorado <br />September 2014 <br />,L Cityoj <br />Om Louisville <br />COLORADO • SINCE 1 878 <br />1140 Lincoln Ave. History <br />Legal Description: Lots 13-16, Block 6, Capitol Hill Addition <br />Year of Construction: circa 1900-1909 <br />Summary: Members of one multigenerational family (the Rasmuson/Hawkins/Martella <br />family) owned this home for 105 years. <br />History of the Capitol Hill Addition <br />J.C. Williams, who was a mine superintendent with the Rocky Mountain Fuel Company, <br />and Irving Elberson, who was a banker, were the developers of the Capitol Hill Addition. <br />The plat for this addition was filed with the County in 1904. <br />Hilton Ownership (1906-1909) & Discussion of Construction Date <br />Online County property records show that John Hilton purchased this property in 1906 <br />from one of the developers, Irving Elberson. <br />Records indicate that more than one John Hilton lived in the Louisville area at the time, <br />and it is unclear which one was the owner of this property. Also, there are no residential <br />directories known to have been created during the period of ownership by John Hilton, <br />so it's difficult to determine whether he lived in a house on the property. <br />The County gives the year 1900 as the date of construction for this house. However, the <br />County is sometimes in error with respect to the dates of construction of Louisville <br />buildings, so other evidence must be looked to. In this case, the County Assessor card <br />completed for 1140 Lincoln in 1948 also gives 1900 as the date of construction. <br />However, the subdivision wasn't platted until 1904. The indication in the property <br />records that this parcel wasn't sold by the developer to a purchaser until 1906 might <br />suggest that the house had not yet been built, but the possibility that the developer <br />built the house or that the first owner built it before the deed was recorded cannot be <br />ruled out. New owners purchased the property in 1909, and a house does appear on <br />1 <br />