Laserfiche WebLink
Bridget Bacon <br />Louisville Historical Museum <br />Department of Library & Museum Services <br />City of Louisville, Colorado <br />October 2021 <br />I u Cityq Im Louisville <br />COLORADO • SINCE 1878 <br />621 Lincoln Avenue History <br />Legal Description: Lots 5 & 6, Block 10, Pleasant Hill Addition, Louisville, Colorado <br />Year of Construction: 1956 <br />Summary: Until recently, this was the home of the David and Maxine McHugh family. David <br />McHugh constructed a small building at the back of the property in 1950 as a home for his <br />growing family while he constructed the main house in 1956. The family moved into the main <br />house and the small building was then converted into a garage. <br />Development of the Pleasant Hill Addition and Early Owners <br />The subdivision in which this house is located, the Pleasant Hill Addition, was platted in 1894. <br />The subdivision was developed in the name of Orrin Welch, the half-brother of Charles C. <br />Welch. Charles Welch was the person most responsible for the establishment of Louisville in <br />1878 after he established the first coal mine in this area in 1877. Orrin Welch is not known to <br />have ever lived in Colorado, and it is Charles C. Welch who is thought to have been the de facto <br />developer. <br />In 1904, Orrin Welch, through Charles C. Welch, transferred (in one transaction) four lots on the <br />west side of Lincoln to Charles F. Wolfer, the Louisville real estate developer and doctor. These <br />included Lots 5 & 6. Wolfer had also acquired seven lots on the west side of Lincoln from Welch <br />in 1903 in a separate transaction. <br />In 1905, Wolfer sold Lots 5, 6, 7, and 8, which today make up 621 Lincoln and 625 Lincoln, to <br />Edwin Carveth, who owned 637 Lincoln. <br />A. Milton Bittner and Anna Bittner had purchased Lots 3 and 4 (625 Lincoln, the next parcel to <br />the north of 621 Lincoln) and lived there. In 1909, the Bittners purchased Lots 5, 6, 7, & 8 from <br />1 <br />