Laserfiche WebLink
John "Mudrak" was born in what is now Slovakia in about 1868. Mary Mudrak was born in Slovakia in <br />about 1872. They married in about 1888. Their son, John George, was born in 1890, and another son, <br />Paul, was born in 1893. Records show that the family was from Lucka, Slovakia, which is along the <br />southern border near Hungary. For purposes of this report, John and Mary, who were the first <br />generation of Mudrocks to live in Louisville, will be referred to by their original last name of "Mudrak" to <br />distinguish them from later generations of the family. Their son, John George, will be referred to as <br />"John G." to distinguish him from his father and his son, also both named John. <br />In the 1890s, the family came to the U.S. It is believed that John Mudrak, the father, arrived first in <br />about 1891, and that he went back for his family. By 1899, the entire family was in the U.S. According to <br />the obituary of John G., the family lived first in Pennsylvania, then moved to Rock Springs, Wyoming, <br />then came to Louisville in 1903. The 1900 census shows the family to be living in Northside, Sweetwater, <br />Wyoming, where John Mudrak worked as a coal miner. A third child, Michael, was born that year in <br />Wyoming. After the family came to Louisville, two more children, Mary and George, were born. <br />John G. Mudrock went to work in the mines at age 10, according to his wife, and worked as a coal miner <br />for about 40 years. He retired in about 1941 from the Industrial Mine, according to the family. He also <br />operated a gas station in Louisville and worked for an elevator company in Denver. He married Anna <br />Kochan in Louisville in 1909. Anna Kochan was born in 1890 in New York to Slovak parents. She and her <br />family moved among mining camps in Colorado when she was young. She and John G. met in Rockvale, <br />Colorado, where he had been working. <br />In 1909, John and Mary Mudrak conveyed ownership of 613 Grant to their son, John G. Mudrock. This <br />was the same year of his marriage. John Mudrak died in 1918 at the age of about 50, and Mary Mudrak <br />died in 1939 at the age of about 67. <br />The Boulder County Assessor card from 1950 gives 1949 as the date of construction of this house, while <br />the Boulder County website give 1950 as the date of construction. The County has sometime been found <br />to be in error with respect to the dates of construction of historic buildings in Louisville, so other <br />evidence is looked to. <br />Anna Kochan Mudrock was interviewed at the age of 90 for the July 30, 1980 Louisville Times. The article <br />sheds some light on the history of the houses. "The newlywed Mudrocks moved in with John's mother <br />and brothers and sister in a [two -room] house on the same lot where Ann lives today. She has lived <br />there since 1909." This is a reference to 613 Grant, which was Anna's home at the time of the article. <br />She also told the reporter that because the house was so crowded, her husband John G. built a shack for <br />their small family "in the back." <br />Later, when the Mudrock family built a house at 625 Grant, it was said by the family to have been a <br />combination of an old house with a new addition. In fact, the 1950 County Assessor card for 625 Grant <br />stated that it was consisted of "Old house % New % ." It is possible that the house that John G. Mudrock <br />2 <br />