Laserfiche WebLink
IL: <br />CityCityof <br />Lou1s Louisville <br />Louisville Historical Museum <br />Department of Library & Museum Services <br />City of Louisville, Colorado <br />April 2018 <br />COLOR,A,DO • SINCE 1878 <br />317 Roosevelt, Louisville, Colorado <br />Legal Description: Lots 1 & 2, Block 2, Kimberly Addition <br />Year of Construction: Circa 1912 (see discussion) <br />Summary: This house was owned by members of the Deborski family for 38 years. It was <br />located in the neighborhood of "Kimbertown" initially developed by an English family. <br />The Kimber/Wardle Family and The Kimberly Addition <br />George Kimber originally came from Cornwall in England. In about 1884, he married <br />Charlotte Wardle in Yorkshire. She is known to have had five children with James <br />Wardle and evidently had been widowed. Charlotte had at least four more children with <br />George Kimber, her second husband. The family lived in an area known for coal mining <br />in the north of England, living on "Coffee Pot Row" in Trimdon Colliery, County Durham. <br />George was a coal miner. <br />The Kimber/Wardle family emigrated to the U.S. in 1893. The children who are known <br />to have come to Louisville were Arthur, Charles, and James Wardle, and Rebecca, <br />Charlotte, Marie, and Polly Kimber. George Kimber and his family acquired property in <br />what is now the vicinity of West, Mead, and Roosevelt beginning at the time when they <br />first arrived in Louisville in the 1890s. The family built some homes on their property <br />even before it was platted. <br />Following the death of George Kimber, his family, including his children and <br />stepchildren, in 1911 platted and recorded the subdivision called The Kimberly Addition, <br />named for him. The Kimberly Addition includes homes that are located on Mead Street, <br />West Street, and the western side of Roosevelt between Mead and West. The Kimberly <br />Addition was informally called "Kimbertown" by Louisville residents. Records and oral <br />histories show it to have been an area where early Louisville residents from the British <br />Isles, most of whom were coal miners, lived. It also borders the neighborhood of <br />1 <br />