Laserfiche WebLink
The 1910 federal census records appear to show the Swanberger family living at 725 <br />Lincoln and they are listed as the owners of the property (and there is no indication that <br />they owned any other property in Louisville at the time). Listed in the census records <br />along with Fred and Lydia were their daughter, Myrle, who was 22 and a teacher; son, <br />Walter, age 20; and son, Willard, age 9. <br />The County Assessor card for 725 Lincoln from 1948 gives the year 1900 as the date of <br />construction for this house. The County website also gives this year as the date of <br />construction. However, the County is sometimes in error with respect to the dates of <br />construction of Louisville buildings, so other evidence is looked to. The indication in the <br />property records that this parcel wasn't sold by the developer to a purchaser until 1904 <br />would seem to suggest that the house had not yet been built, though the possibility that <br />the developer built the house or that the first owner built it before the deed was <br />recorded cannot be ruled out. The recording of a document in 1904 by which Lydia <br />Swanberger granted a deed of trust to McAllister Supply & Lumber Co. would seem to <br />be relevant, as it could suggest that McAllister was supplying materials for a house. The <br />1904 directory lists Fred and Lydia "Swamberger" as living on "Lincoln btw. Pine & <br />Spruce." The house also appears in the correct location on the 1909 Drumm's Wall Map <br />of Louisville. For all of these reasons, the estimated year of construction is "circa 1900- <br />1904." <br />In 1914, Lydia Swanberger sold the property at 725 Lincoln and the additional lots to the <br />south to Irving Elberson, who was the managing partner and cashier for the Louisville <br />Bank and who was one of the people who had platted the nearby Capitol Hill Addition in <br />Louisville in 1904. <br />Biber Ownership, 1915-1919 <br />In 1915, Herman Biber purchased 725 Lincoln and additional lots to the south. He was <br />born in 1875 in Switzerland and worked as a mining engineer. His wife, Carrie, was born <br />in about 1862 in Georgia. The Louisville directories for 1916 and 1918 list Herman and <br />Carrie Biber as living at 725 Lincoln (under one of its old addresses of 224 Lincoln; <br />Louisville's address system changed in 1939). Herman's draft registration card for World <br />War I stated that he worked as a mining engineer at the Matchless Mine in Louisville. <br />The Bibers moved from Louisville to Marshall, where they were listed in the 1920 census <br />and where Herman continued to work as a miner. <br />Schaefer Ownership, 1919-1922 <br />Daniel Schaefer purchased 725 Lincoln along with the additional lots to the south in <br />1919 and owned it until 1922. He was born in Ohio in 1885 and worked as a weighman <br />in a coal mine. This means that he weighed the coal that was mined, with miners getting <br />paid by the weight of the coal. His wife, Anna Birkett, was born in 1889 in County <br />Durham, England and grew up in Louisville. Their son, Wilbur, was born in about 1908. <br />2 <br />