Laserfiche WebLink
prominent businessman in Colorado. Welch was vice president of the railroad, opened <br />the first mine (the Welch Mine) in Louisville in 1877, and was the developer of some of <br />Louisville oldest subdivisions along with his wife, Rebecca Darrow Welch. Rebecca was <br />the sister of Louisville businessman Victor H. Darrow. <br />The earliest section of the chain of ownership could not be completed with certainty. It <br />is possible that eventually, research of documents at the Boulder County Recorder's <br />Office itself will be able to fully reveal this chain. Based on the online records, however, <br />the early owners of Lot 19 and the north half of Lot 20 (after Louis Nawatny) appear to <br />have been Victor H. Darrow, Rebecca Darrow Welch, and Charles C. Welch. <br />Earliest Use of the Site <br />The 700 block of Main Street (then called Second Street) was developed early in <br />Louisville's history. A copy of a hand drawn map of Louisville from 1885 acquired from <br />the Western History Collection of Norlin Library at the University of Colorado indicates <br />"V.H. Darrow" on this site. <br />However, no specific use of the site can be identified before the time of the early 1890s, <br />and no historical photos of the site before the 1890s have been located. <br />Brick Trading Company Building on This Site <br />County property records indicate that in 1890, Charles and Rebecca Welch sold the lots <br />in question to the Louisville Mercantile Co. In 1891, the property was sold to Lyman E. <br />Andrews and John S. Chambers, prominent businessmen in Louisville from this time <br />period. "Andrews & Chambers" was an early "general merchandise" store listed in <br />Louisville directories, although with no specific address or location indicated. <br />The earliest Sanborn Fire Insurance Map for Louisville, for 1893, shows that on this <br />particular site in 1893 there stood a large, two story, brick building being used to sell <br />"general merchandise." Information on file at the Louisville Historical Museum states <br />that this building was built "circa 1880," but this could not be confirmed. According to <br />an item that appeared in the Boulder Daily Camera on October 6, 1891, the property <br />was purchased in 1891 for $7,000, a very high price for the town at the time that would <br />indicate that the brick building was already located on the site. <br />The 1893 Sanborn Map also shows both sides of the 700 block of Main Street were <br />already developed with a mixture of business buildings and dwellings. <br />County records indicate that the owner of this property from 1893 to 1910 was Boulder <br />attorney Richard Whitely. He transferred the property in 1910 to Denver attorney James <br />H. Blood. <br />