My WebLink
|
Help
|
About
|
Sign Out
Home
Browse
Search
809 Main St History
PORTAL
>
HISTORICAL RECORDS (50.000)
>
ADDRESS HISTORIES
>
Main St Address Histories
>
809 Main St History
Metadata
Thumbnails
Annotations
Entry Properties
Last modified
12/20/2021 3:01:59 PM
Creation date
11/15/2018 9:35:04 AM
Metadata
Fields
Template:
CITYWIDE
Doc Type
Historical Records
Subdivision Name
Louisville Town of
Property Address Number
809
Property Address Street Name
Main
Quality Check
11/15/2201
Document Relationships
Resolution 2021-31
(Cross-References)
Path:
\CITY COUNCIL RECORDS\RESOLUTIONS (45.160)\2021 Resolutions
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
Laserfiche.
All rights reserved.
/
18
PDF
Print
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
Show annotations
View images
View plain text
Bridget Bacon, Louisville Historical Museum <br />Department of Library & Museum Services <br />City of Louisville, Colorado <br />August 2018 <br />`; Cityof <br />Om Louisville <br />COLORADO • SINCE 1878 <br />809 Main St. History <br />Legal Description: North 1/2 of Lot 12, Block 5, Original Louisville <br />Year of Construction: circa 1900 <br />Summary: This small building has been used as a restaurant & bar type of establishment on <br />Main Street for about 100 years. Before that, records and photos indicate, the current building <br />was a barber shop, second hand store and, possibly, a furniture store. It is mainly associated <br />with Celeste Romano, who was a member of Louisville's Italian community. He and his wife, <br />and then also their daughters, operated a pool hall / bar/ restaurant / ice cream parlor for <br />about 50 years, from 1919 (or earlier) until 1968. It is well remembered as having been a <br />community gathering place called "Celeste's" for Louisville residents of all ages. Miners <br />frequented the bar and pool hall, while families came for the ice cream. More recently, it was <br />Pasquale's, Druids Arms, and the Waterloo. <br />History of Site Prior to Current Building <br />Bridget Hanley purchased this half -lot from Louis Nawatny in 1879, the year after Louisville was <br />established. She is shown in the 1880 federal census and the 1885 state census as living in the <br />vicinity of this part of Main Street with her adult sons, John and Michael, who worked as coal <br />miners. <br />The census records for 1880 and 1885 show that Bridget Hanley (or Henley) was born in Ireland <br />in 1811 or 1812. Research conducted for the Louisville Historical Museum in 2012 has shown <br />that she was likely the earliest -born person to have lived in the town of Louisville, based on <br />available records. Unfortunately, we don't know what happened to Bridget Hanley and her sons <br />or how long they stayed in Louisville. <br />The following excerpt from the 1893 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map (which was one of three such <br />maps for Louisville, with the other two having been done for the Louisville commercial district <br />in 1900 and 1908) shows that there was a small dwelling on the parcel in question at that time <br />that was presumably the Hanley residence. It was small and didn't cover the entire frontage of <br />the parcel, and it was set back from Main Street, which would be to the right on the map: <br />1 <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.