Laserfiche WebLink
Louisville Historical Museum <br />Department of Library & Museum Services <br />City of Louisville, Colorado <br />November 2016 <br />ILZ Cityof <br />Louisville <br />COLORADO • SINCE 1878 <br />921 Main St. History <br />Legal Description: Lot 3, Block 5, Original Louisville <br />Year of Construction: circa 1880-1893 <br />Summary: The Doeffler family owned the property at 921 Main for 42 years and the <br />Lippis family owned it for 18 years. It was a family residence during all of that time. Like <br />some other buildings in the 900 block of Main Street, it historically was a residence and <br />is now a commercial building. <br />Early Owners, 1878-1902; Date of Construction <br />Louis Nawatny sold this property in 1879, just one year after he platted the town. Its <br />owners before 1902 were Lucy Welch (ownership 1879-80), Caspar Baier (ownership <br />1880-84), Henry Cope (ownership 1884-91), and Meda Tavenner McNeff (ownership <br />1891-1902). <br />The Boulder County Assessor card for this property estimates 1900 as the year of <br />construction, while the Boulder County Assessor's website gives 1920 as the date of <br />construction. Construction dates given by the County for properties in Louisville <br />sometimes have been found to be incorrect or inconsistent, so other evidence is looked <br />to. Round number estimates such as "1900" and "1920" appear to often indicate that <br />the exact year was not known by the owners in 1948 when Louisville buildings were <br />being assessed. The original part of the house, which consisted of the front of the house <br />and the north section of the rear, is believed to have been constructed no later than <br />1893, as the house appears on the 1893 Sanborn fire insurance map for Louisville, seen <br />here: <br />• <br />