Laserfiche WebLink
In addition, the owner in 1880, Caspar Baier, is shown on the 1880 census as living with <br />his family in the vicinity of the 900 block of Main Street, based on the names of <br />residents listed as living nearby. For these reasons, the estimated date of construction is <br />"circa 1880-1893." <br />The house is also on the 1900 Sanborn map, shown here: <br />The house appears in this way on the 1908 Sanborn map: <br />The 1909 map shows the house on Lot 3 in this way: <br />Doeffler/Helburg Family Ownership, 1902-1944 <br />By 1902, Joseph Doeffler purchased this house, and it became the home for his family. <br />The name is at times given as Deffler, Doerfler, or Derfler. Joseph Doeffler was born in <br />Austria in 1844. He married Theresia Doeffler, who was born in Austria in 1847, in about <br />1866 and they came together to the U.S. in about 1870. Their children, Mary Magdelene <br />(1874-1955), Joseph A. (1876-1961) and Frank (born 1878) were all born in <br />Pennsylvania. The family came to Louisville by 1892. <br />Their son, Frank, became the proprietor of a Front Street saloon. Their daughter, Mary <br />Magdalene Doeffler, married Victor Helburg, the Louisville town marshal who was killed <br />in 1915. <br />Records indicate that Joseph Doeffler worked as a miner and that he died in about 1926. <br />Theresia transferred ownership in 1928 to her daughter, Mary Helburg. It is believed <br />2 <br />