Laserfiche WebLink
Knight sold the property in 1880 to John Harris, who is also believed to have been a coal miner <br />from England. <br />The identities of the owners between 1880 and 1885 could not be located. In 1885, Henry Cope <br />acquired the property through a public treasurer's deed. In 1890, Henry Cope sold all of Lot 2 to <br />Pascal James and Pietro James, who were Italian -born brothers (the original name being <br />DiGiacomo) who were among the first people of Italian heritage to own real property in <br />Louisville. Ownership of the property was then conveyed to Mary James in 1895. <br />By a deed recorded in November 1897, Mary James sold the north half of Lot 2, which is now <br />the location of 931 Main, to Jane Pickering. (Mary James had sold the south half of Lot 2, which <br />is now the location of 927 Main, in 1896.) <br />Pickering Family Ownership and Discussion of Date of Construction <br />Isaac Pickering was born in Maine in 1841 and was a soldier in the Civil War, serving from <br />Wisconsin. Jane Pickering was born in England in 1847. They reportedly had ten children, not all <br />of whom survived to adulthood. Two of the children were listed as living with them in this <br />location in the 1900 census: Charlotte, who was born in 1883, and Frank, who was born in <br />1887. Isaac Pickering worked as a teamster in Louisville. <br />The following photos were acquired from a public family tree at Ancestry.com and show Isaac <br />and Jane Pickering in an undated photo, followed by a photo of Isaac and Jane Pickering: <br />