Laserfiche WebLink
Louisville Historical Museum <br />Department of Library & Museum Services <br />City of Louisville, Colorado <br />December 2012 <br />ILZ Cityof <br />Louisville <br />COLORAnO • SINCE 187R <br />1131 Spruce St. History <br />Legal Description: South 28 feet of Lots 8 and 9, Block 3, East Louisville <br />Year of Construction: 1942 <br />Previous Addresses of this Property: Louisville directories from the 1940s give the <br />address as "1113" Spruce, but this may have simply been an error caused by the <br />reversal of the last two digits in the address. The 1948 County Assessor card gives the <br />address correctly as 1131. <br />Summary: Historically, this small home was the residence of a bachelor immigrant coal <br />miner. Its original living area was only 266 square feet. A bathroom and closet that were <br />added in the early 1950s brought the square footage to 350. With the garage having <br />been converted to a bedroom and a small room having been added to the west side of <br />the house, it now contains just 960 square feet. <br />Development of East Louisville <br />The East Louisville Addition originated with Charles C. Welch, a prominent businessman <br />and figure in Colorado history who started the first coal mine in Louisville and who was <br />the primary person behind the establishment of Louisville as a town. His wife, R. <br />Jeannette Welch, transferred the land to brothers William J. Lee and George A. Lee, who <br />platted the area in 1906, thereby creating the East Louisville Addition. <br />The following excerpt from the 1909 Drumm's Wall Map of Louisville shows the East <br />Louisville subdivision and the area of Lots 8 and 9 of Block 3 where 1131 Spruce would <br />be later constructed: <br />