Laserfiche WebLink
County has sometimes been found to be in error with respect to the dates of construction of <br />historic buildings in Louisville. For this reason, it is important to look at all of the evidence. <br />In this case, the house does not appear on the 1909 Drumm's Wall Map of Louisville, which <br />would indicate that it had not yet been built in 1909. In addition, as noted, the developer sold <br />the property in 1915, which was the next year after 1914. It is possible that the purchaser, Joe <br />Di Selvo, had an arrangement whereby he may have agreed to purchase the parcel before the <br />deed was executed and he may have been permitted to start building on it. <br />For these reasons, and in the absence of other evidence, the 1914 date put forth by Boulder <br />County is assumed to be the correct date of construction. The house appears to have had an <br />addition added, but research available to the Museum staff did not uncover the exact year of <br />the addition. <br />Jacques Family Ownership, 1918-1943 <br />Frank Jacques purchased all four lots (now 829 Rex and 320 Roosevelt), located in the <br />neighborhood of Frenchtown, in 1918. An article from the Louisville Historian about <br />Frenchtown and Louisville's French community can be found here: <br />http://www.louisvilleco.gov/home/showdocument?id=9908. The parcel that is now 320 <br />Roosevelt is believed to have been a side yard for 829 Rex. <br />Frank Jacques (1868-1929) was born in Bonnevaux, Gard, Languedoc-Roussillon, France. He <br />married Anna (maiden name unknown) (abt. 1869-1944) in France and their two sons were <br />born there: Peter in 1897 and Rene in 1901. The family of four came to the U.S. in 1902 and to <br />Louisville in about 1909. Peter Jacques, a coal miner, died in 1919 after he was kicked by one of <br />the mules used in the coal mines. <br />In 1927, authorities killed Rene Jacques and five other miners at the Columbine Mine when <br />hundreds of striking miners assembled at the mine in solidarity. The event is referred to as the <br />Columbine Mine Massacre. For an overview, the Wikipedia entry for the Columbine Mine <br />Massacre can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbine Mine massacre . <br />According to a newspaper account, 1,500 people attended his funeral in an outpouring of grief <br />and anger. He was the only one of the five from Louisville and the only one buried in the <br />Louisville Cemetery. His father died two years later, in 1929. His mother, Anna Jacques, <br />continued to live by herself at 829 Rex for many more years. She sold 829 Rex to another <br />French family in 1943, a year before her death. <br />Codron Family Ownership, 1943-1978 <br />In 1943, George Codron, Sr. (1889-1973) and Maria Zoe Brassart Codron (1896-1970) purchased <br />what is now 829 Rex from Anna Jacques. <br />2 <br />