Laserfiche WebLink
2 <br /> <br />In this case, the year appears to be rounded off, indicating that it i s an estimate and perhaps <br />not an exact year. <br /> <br />This house was profiled in a 1978 article in the Louisville Times that specifically discussed the <br />date of construction. According to the article, excerpted elsewhere in this report, Nelle Wolfer <br />Willis (1890-1976) told later owner Leah Fauson that the house was built in 1904 for Nelle’s <br />father, Charles F. Wolfer. This information is consistent with Wolfer’s ownership of the lots <br />extending from 1903 to 1905. Moreover, the deed documenting Wolfer’s sale of the two lots in <br />1905 to Edwin Carveth states that they were sold for $1,250, indicating that a house had likely <br />been constructed on the property since the time of Wolfer’s purchase of the lots in 1903. For <br />these reasons, the date of construction is believed to be 1904. <br /> <br />The house appears on the 1909 Drumm’s Wall Map of Louisville, confirming that it was standing <br />by 1909, but also showing that at that time, there was only one house standing to the west of <br />these houses south of Pine and on the west side of Lincoln. For many decades, Pine Street <br />ended at around McKinley, so the area where 637 Lincoln is located did not experience through <br />traffic until about 1981 when the City of Louisville extended Pine Street to the west from <br />downtown. <br /> <br />Carveth Family Ownership, 1905-1936 <br /> <br />Edwin Carveth (1876-1909) purchased this property in 1905 and settled in the home with his <br />wife, Carrie Thiel Carveth (1875-1960), and baby daughter, Edna (1904-1966). Edwin Carveth <br />had come to Louisville from Iowa in 1890 with his family; Carrie Thiel had come to Boulder <br />County from Ohio in the 1870s as a young child. They were married in 1899. Census records <br />from 1900 show that Edwin was working as a telegraph operator. <br /> <br />Records show that Edwin Carveth started to go into the retail business with his two brothers <br />and their cousin, George Dalby, but then Edwin died in 1909 when he was in his early 30s. <br />Following his death, his partners began the business “Carveth Bros. & Dalby,” which was a <br />general merchandise store located for years in the State Mercantile Building o n Main Street. <br /> <br />Following Edwin Carveth’s death, his widow, Carrie, had to find ways to support herself and her <br />daughter. Records indicate that Carrie worked as a dressmaker out of this home for a time. The <br />1920 census records show that she had a boarder, George Cable. Carrie Carveth also operated a <br />small grocery store on Main Street throughout the 1920s. <br /> <br />As a young adult, Edna Carveth moved to California and married. Carrie later moved there to be <br />with her daughter. <br /> <br />The two following photos show a fourteen-year-old Edna Carveth in the yard of 637 Lincoln. <br />(These photos are from a photo album of the Romeo family, who lived one block to the west at <br />701 Garfield.) The Baptist Church at the corner of Pine & Grant, a block to the east, can be seen <br />in the background of the second photo.