My WebLink
|
Help
|
About
|
Sign Out
Home
Browse
Search
829 Lincoln Ave History
PORTAL
>
HISTORICAL RECORDS (50.000)
>
ADDRESS HISTORIES
>
Lincoln Ave Address Histories
>
829 Lincoln Ave History
Metadata
Thumbnails
Annotations
Entry Properties
Last modified
12/20/2021 2:56:01 PM
Creation date
7/7/2021 2:36:43 PM
Metadata
Fields
Template:
CITYWIDE
Doc Type
Historical Records
Subdivision Name
Pleasant Hill Addition
Property Address Number
829
Property Address Street Name
Lincoln
Quality Check
7/7/2021
Text box
ID:
1
Creator:
Created:
7/7/2021 2:36 PM
Modified:
7/7/2021 2:36 PM
Text:
https://www.louisvilleco.gov/home/showpublisheddocument/5503/637122783694830000
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
Laserfiche.
All rights reserved.
/
8
PDF
Print
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
Show annotations
View images
View plain text
records show that it was common for Louisville saloon owners to be in debt to the breweries <br />whose products they carried, and that they would put up their property as collateral. This was <br />also the case for John Balent. Property documents recorded with Boulder County show that the <br />Ph. Zang Brewing Co. extended a loan of $2500 to the Balents in 1910 that was secured by both <br />the Balents' home on Lincoln and the baseball park property. When Prohibition was starting <br />and there was no hope of Balent having enough business at his saloon to pay his debts, Zang <br />actually became the legal owner of these two properties, as described more fully below. <br />In Louisville, some saloonkeepers dealt with the advent of Prohibition by shifting their <br />businesses to billiard parlors (some of which still quietly served alcohol to regulars). Others <br />started over in a completely new line of business, even moving away in order to do so. After a <br />time when John Balent went back to being a miner for a time (according to the 1916 Louisville <br />directory), the Balents decided to relocate. They moved to the Greeley area, where Annie <br />Balent's brothers had already moved from Louisville to be farmers, and John and Annie became <br />farmers there. <br />Ph. Zang Brewing Co. Ownership of 829 Lincoln, 1915-1927 <br />In late 1915, Colorado residents were preparing for the advent of Prohibition in Colorado <br />starting in January 1916. It was against this backdrop that the Ph. Zang Brewing Co. in October <br />1915 took ownership of the property at 829 Lincoln and of the ball park. This appears to have <br />been the consequence of the Deed of Trust (similar to a mortgage) that Balent and Zang had <br />executed in 1910. Anna Balent was also a party to the Deed of Trust. <br />Due to loan payments that the Balents were able to make, the Ph. Zang Brewing Co. returned <br />ownership of the ball park to John Balent in 1923. Balent then sold the ball park. (Soon after, <br />the new owners donated it to the Town of Louisville so that it could continue as a baseball field, <br />and it became the town's first official recreational space.) <br />During the ownership by Zang, the following photo of Louisville High School was taken in 1922. <br />The high school was constructed on the southeast corner of Garfield & Walnut and opened in <br />1920. It backed up to 829 Lincoln and 841 Lincoln. In the photo below, a red circle indicates the <br />rear of the house at 829 Lincoln. (After the school closed in about 1939, the building was <br />separated into two buildings that still serve as apartment buildings. For more information, see <br />the article "Louisville's Neighborhood High School" in the Summer 2015 Louisville Historian.) <br />4 <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.