Laserfiche WebLink
Bridget Bacon <br />Louisville Historical Museum <br />Department of Library & Museum Services <br />City of Louisville, Colorado <br />November 2021 <br />Cityr <br />IU Louisville <br />COLORADO • SINCE 1878 <br />1037 Walnut Avenue History <br />Legal Description: Lots 18 & 19, Block 1, East Louisville <br />Year of Construction: circa 1909 <br />Summary: For the first several decades of the history of 1037 Walnut, a series of four different <br />Italian individuals or families owned it. For 48 years from 1951 until 1999, it was the home of <br />the Robert Oral and Emma Browning family. <br />Development of East Louisville <br />The East Louisville Addition originated with Charles C. Welch, a prominent businessman and <br />figure in Colorado history who started the first coal mine in Louisville and who was the primary <br />person behind the establishment of Louisville as a town. His wife, R. Jeannette Welch, <br />transferred the land to brothers William J. Lee and George A. Lee, who platted the area in 1906, <br />thereby creating the East Louisville Addition. <br />The following excerpt from the 1909 Drumm's Wall Map of Louisville shows the East Louisville <br />subdivision and the area of Lots 18 and 19 of Block 1. The house at 1037 Walnut can be seen on <br />these lots just to the right of the letter "T" in the word "EAST": <br />1 <br />