Laserfiche WebLink
Herman H. Fischer Ownership, 1902-1909 <br />In 1902, Hermann Heinrich (Herman H.) Fischer purchased Lots 1 & 2 of Block 2 (now 1101 <br />Main) from the developers of Barclay Place. In the next year, 1903, he also purchased Lots 3 & 4 <br />(now 1109 Main) from Lute McCorkle. Fischer (1845-1921) was born in Germany and married <br />Marie Brasse in 1869. They then immigrated to the U.S. later the same year. They moved across <br />the U.S. for the next few decades and came to Louisville in 1896 with some of their adult <br />children. <br />Herman H. Fischer and his sons worked as builders and carpenters in Louisville. According to a <br />written history from the Fischer family on file with the Louisville Historical Museum, they built <br />the 1903 addition to the Louisville Public School; the State Mercantile Building at 801 Main; the <br />Baptist Church at 701 Grant; the original Town Hall in the 700 block of Main; the Rex Theatre at <br />817 Main; the former Lackner Saloon (now Casa Alegre) at 1006 Pine; and the DiFrancia saloon <br />at 740 Front (now the 740 Front restaurant). According to a different source, the Fischers also <br />built the DiFrancia house at 1045 La Farge. After Herman H. Fischer's death in 1921, his sons <br />and grandsons continued to build homes and businesses in Louisville, including such buildings <br />as the Chamber of Commerce building at 901 Main and the restaurant at 809 Main (now <br />Zucca). <br />At 1101 Main, on the back of the property, Herman H. Fischer and his sons constructed the <br />original Fischer Carpentry Shop. It appears to have been used as a workshop for their carpentry <br />business. No interior photos of it have been found. This building has been documented as being <br />in this location in the written Fischer family history and in the following photo that originated <br />with the Fischer family. The carpentry shop was located next to the alley and faced Short Street <br />(the same location as the current garage at 1101 Main). Fischer presumably purchased the <br />parcel for the purpose of using it for his business, as it was located a short distance from many <br />of the buildings that he and his sons had under construction at the time. <br />2 <br />