Laserfiche WebLink
Between 1904 and 1916, Felix and Michelina Tomeo had at least eight children. The <br />second floor of the two-story building, became the home to their family. The first floor <br />was rented out for businesses, including a shoe repair business at one point. <br />Felix died in 1918, leaving Michelina with eight children and three buildings. According <br />to newspaper coverage, she received financial assistance from the County's "Poor <br />Fund." In 1930, Michelina remarried to Joe Biella, a widower. <br />In 1937, Michelina conveyed her ownership of Lots 1-4 to her seven surviving children. <br />In 1945, four of them transferred their interests to their siblings Gene, Dominic, and Joe. <br />(However, Gene Tomeo lived elsewhere starting in the 1920s and does not appear to <br />have been directly involved with the property.) <br />Construction and Original Usage of Joe's Metal Shop <br />The two members of the Tomeo family who were associated with the construction and <br />operation of Joe's Metal Shop were Joe Tomeo (1910-1950) and Dominic "Dom" Tomeo <br />(1907-1983). They had grown up on the property, first in the Tomeo House and then in <br />the "Big House." <br />The following photo shows members of the Tomeo family gathered together in the early <br />1940s, with Dom Tomeo in the back row, first on the left, and his brother Joe Tomeo, <br />also in the back row, first on the right. <br />2 <br />