Laserfiche WebLink
Steinbaugh Ownership, 1932-1979; Discussion of Date of Construction <br />J.J. Steinbaugh (1868-1950) purchased Lots 6-11 (the parcel at 701 McKinley plus the <br />parcel that is now 705 McKinley) in 1932. <br />The Steinbaugh blacksmithing, lumber, and then hardware business played a prominent <br />role in Louisville history. In 1957, an issue of the Louisville Times was devoted to the <br />Steinbaugh family business, which was then 65 years old: The Louisville Times Mav 31, <br />1957 — Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection. A 2015 Boulder Magazine article <br />detailed the impact of the Steinbaugh family business on Louisville: <br />http://getboulder.com/steinbaughs-hardware-hardwired-for-hardware/ . <br />J.J. Steinbaugh and Elizabeth "Carrie" Steinbaugh (1873-1956) lived previously at 945 <br />Front. Records indicate that they lived elsewhere in Louisville after they moved out of <br />945 Front and before moving in to 701 McKinley. <br />J.J. and Carrie Steinbaugh divorced in 1947. J.J. stayed in the house at 701 McKinley, and <br />Carrie moved to California. <br />The 1948 Boulder County Assessor card for this property as well as the current Boulder <br />County Assessor website both give 1933 as the year of construction. Although the <br />County has been found to be in error with respect to the dates of construction of some <br />historic buildings in Louisville, this date appears to be accurate. The 1909 Drumm's Wall <br />Map of Louisville indicates that there was not a house at this location at that time. In <br />addition, a new owner (J.J. Steinbaugh) purchased the property in 1932 and the <br />available directories for the years after 1933 show residents of a house there. <br />Biographical information about J.J. Steinbaugh in the Louisville Times similarly supports <br />the approximate date of 1933, though it states 1935: <br />[945 Front] was the family home until in 1935 when the brick house at the <br />corner of McKinley and Pine was built. Except for the two years spent on his <br />ranch near Boulder creek, Mr. Steinbaugh lived there until his death, December <br />5, 1950, when he was almost 83 years old. His grandson, Jim, and family now live <br />in the home. J. J. continued active in his business until 1941, when he retired to <br />his ranch which he operated with a hired hand until 1943. <br />Since the 1933 date is drawn from the 1948 County Assessor card, it is worth noting that <br />the Steinbaugh family that built the house still owned it in 1948, and so they were likely <br />the source for the construction date of 1933. For all of the foregoing reasons, the date <br />of construction is assumed to be 1933. <br />The following images show the photo of the house from the 1948 County Assessor card <br />and a ground layout sketch of the house at that time, during the ownership by J.J. <br />Steinbaugh: <br />2 <br />