Laserfiche WebLink
In 1947, Amelia Clarkson Hancock was preparing to move to Denver and she sold her family's <br />property to G.R. & Marguerite Henning. (According to an item in the Louisville Times on <br />11/20/1947, they purchased it for their daughter and son-in-law to live in. However, for <br />whatever reason, that did not materialize.) In early 1948, the Hennings sold the property to <br />John Madonna, Jr. <br />John "Bug Dust" Madonna, Jr. Ownership (1948-1953, 1959-1967) Joe Colacci Ownership <br />(1953-1959) <br />Date of Construction and Early History of the Building <br />John Madonna (1918-2022) purchased the Hutchinson -Clarkson -Hancock home at 924 Main in <br />1948, then transferred part of the property to his brother-in-law, Joe D'Amato. The original <br />home at 924 Main became the D'Amato family home, and D'Amato constructed a building at <br />920 Main to be Joe's Fruit Market on what had been part of the south side yard of the original <br />home. <br />Additionally, John Madonna constructed a building for a pool hall that he intended to operate <br />at 916 Main. This property that Madonna retained for himself also had been part of the south <br />side yard of the original Hutchinson -Clarkson -Hancock family home. He named it the Bug Dust <br />Pool Hall, with the name being based on his own nickname, but the name of the business and <br />his nickname were also often given as one word, "Bugdust." <br />John Madonna stated that it was constructed in 1948. The website of the County Assessor gives <br />the date of construction as 1950. Boulder County has at times been found to be incorrect with <br />respect to the year of construction of some historical buildings in Louisville, so it is important to <br />look at other sources of evidence. This is especially important to do in cases such as this, where <br />there is evidence for two different dates of construction for a historical building. <br />In this case, the Louisville Times, looking back at news in town from the previous year of 1948, <br />stated that the Bug Dust Pool Hall had been completed in July 1948 (The Louisville Times <br />January 6, 1949 — Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection). <br />The Boulder County Assessor card for this property does not clearly state a construction date. <br />However, the card is virtually identical to other cards that were completed in 1948 for <br />Louisville, including the one for the D'Amato property next door at 920 Main. The cards for <br />both 916 and 920 Main state that they were filled out on Sept. 9, and the 920 Main card gives <br />the date with the year: Sept. 9, 1948. It is strongly believed that the Assessor also filled out the <br />2 <br />