Laserfiche WebLink
La <br />City0r <br />Louisville <br />Bridget Bacon <br />Louisville Historical Museum <br />Department of Library & Museum Services <br />City of Louisville, Colorado <br />August 2019 <br />COLORADO • SINCE 1878 <br />816 Lincoln Avenue History <br />Legal Description: Lots 15 & 16, Block 5, Pleasant Hill Addition, Louisville, Colorado <br />Year of Construction: circa 1909 <br />Summary: This home, constructed by 1909, was owned by French, English, and Central European <br />families from the early 1900s until the 1990s. <br />Development of the Pleasant Hill Addition; Date of Construction <br />The subdivision in which this house is located, the Pleasant Hill Addition, was platted in 1894. The <br />subdivision was developed in the name of Orrin Welch, the half-brother of Charles C. Welch. Charles <br />Welch was the person most responsible for the establishment of Louisville in 1878 after he established <br />the first coal mine in this area in 1877. Orrin Welch is not known to have ever lived in Colorado, and it is <br />Charles C. Welch who is thought to have been the de facto developer. <br />The 1948 Boulder County Assessor card for this property and the Boulder County Assessor's Office <br />website both give 1910 as the date of construction of this house. Boulder County is sometimes in error <br />with respect to the date of construction of Louisville buildings, so other evidence is looked to. In this <br />case, we can see from the 1909 Drumm's Wall Map of Louisville, located at the Louisville Historical <br />Museum, that the map shows a house located on these lots, so it is believed to have been constructed <br />by that year. No other relevant information that might shed light on the construction date could be <br />found. For these reasons, the date of construction is assumed to be "circa 1909." It is possible that it <br />was constructed before 1909. <br />Wattelet Family Ownership, 1903-1917; Thomas Owners, 1917-1919 <br />Smith Wilson purchased these lots and other lots in the Pleasant Hill Addition in 1903. The same year, he <br />sold Lots 15 & 16 to Louis Wattelet. From the Boulder County property records, it's not clear whether <br />this was Louis Wattelet, Sr. (1851-1916), or Louis Wattelet, Jr. (1878-1923). <br />The Wattelet family was one of Louisville's French families who had emigrated from coal mining areas in <br />northern France in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Members of the Wattelet family first appear in <br />records for Louisville by the year 1892. The male members of the family worked in local coal mines. <br />1 <br />