Laserfiche WebLink
Parrot's success led to the establishment of several Italian -American restaurants in <br />downtown Louisville as well as others that included Italian food such as spaghetti and <br />meatballs on their menus. A Louisville Times article dated June 30, 1961 and entitled <br />"Spaghetti Brings Fame to Louisville" described the large impact of the Blue Parrot on the <br />town's economy and credited the role of Mary Colacci's food in drawing people to <br />Louisville to eat spaghetti. <br />After Mary Colacci died in 1949, Michael remarried in 1951 to Maria Tudino Colabello of <br />Italy. Following Michael's death in 1970, Michael and Mary's son, Joe (1916-2007), took <br />over the ownership of the restaurant with which he had long been involved. (Joe's brother, <br />Anthony, meanwhile, had started Colacci's Restaurant in the 1950s at 816 Main.) The <br />family member who most recently operated the Blue Parrot business is Joan Colacci <br />Riggins, the granddaughter of Mike and Mary Colacci and the daughter of Joe. <br />(The bar at the Blue Parrot was also a large part of its public appeal and has even played a <br />role in Colorado political life. The Blue Parrot bartender for over 26 years, Paul Weissmann, <br />was elected to the State Senate in 1992 serving the 17th district, and was elected to the <br />State House in 2002 serving the 12th District. Paul served as Colorado House Majority <br />Leader in 2008 and 2009. He then served as the Democratic House Chief of Staff beginning <br />in 2011. During those years, he also worked as the Blue Parrot bartender, until 2015. Most <br />recently, Governor John Hickenlooper appointed Paul to serve as the Boulder County Public <br />Trustee, and Paul was then elected as Boulder County Treasurer.) <br />When the issue of the age of the current neon sign was first researched for this report, <br />photographic evidence (shown below), interviews with residents, and other sources all <br />strongly indicated that the neon sign was originally installed in the 1950s. Additional <br />information acquired after the original date of this report has confirmed this. Thanks to <br />funding from the City of Louisville, historic issues of The Louisville Times have been <br />digitized and have recently become available for searching on the Colorado Historic <br />Newspapers Collection website: https://www.coloradohistoricnewspapers.org/cgi- <br />bin/colorado?a=cl&c1=CL1&sp=LVT&ai=1&e= en-20--1--txt-txlN 0- . A search on <br />the site led to a Louisville Times article dated Nov. 10, 1955 stating that the neon sign at <br />the Blue Parrot had been installed on the building "several weeks" earlier. The article <br />provided confirmation that the current neon sign was originally put up in 1955. <br />According to both Joan Riggins and Paul Weissmann, the neon sign went through a few <br />different changes over the decades. The best -documented change was to add the words <br />"Joe Colacci's," which is believed to have taken place in the 1970s. <br />The following series of photos sheds some light on the history of the sign. While we now <br />know that the neon sign was installed in 1955, the photos still give a helpful overview of <br />the history of signage on the Blue Parrot building. <br />3 <br />