Laserfiche WebLink
called Klugge a "bright young miner" who had been appointed to be the chief deputy in <br />the County Assessor's office. He was involved in politics, was very involved in activities <br />of the community, and reportedly later served as a state senator from the Longmont <br />area. <br />The 1900 census shows owner Herman Klugge (1868-1933) and his wife, Anna (1869- <br />1939) to be living in this approximate location. Also, the census lists him as owning his <br />home, and Boulder County property records indicate that he did not own any other real <br />property. They had married in about 1891. Anna Klugge served as a member of the <br />three -person Louisville school board. As Klugge owned the property from 1890 to 1904, <br />he was presumably the person who built the original structure. <br />The County Assessor's Office, on the card completed in 1948 for 844 Main, estimated <br />that the structure was built in 1900 and indicated the possibility that the building could <br />have been built earlier. According to the Boulder County Assessor's website, the <br />building was constructed in 1904. The Colorado Cultural Resource Survey completed in <br />2000, which is incorporated by reference into this report, also gave an estimated <br />construction date of 1904. However, rather than citing the County, the survey cited the <br />Sanborn fire insurance maps of 1900 and 1908, with 1904 being a midpoint between the <br />two map dates. <br />Boulder County has sometimes been in error with respect to dates of construction of <br />historic structures in Louisville, so other evidence is looked to, particularly in a case like <br />this where the County has not one but two official dates, and the date of construction in <br />the 2000 survey report was also an estimate based on Sanborn insurance maps that <br />were eight years apart. There is evidence from the 1900 census records and the <br />recollections of a Louisville resident in 1982 that owner Herman Klugge lived on the site <br />with his family. For these reasons, and because of there not being strong evidence in <br />favor of a more specific year of construction, the estimated date of construction is <br />presumed to be "circa 1900-1904." <br />Looking at the years soon after the estimated date of construction, a square building <br />appears in approximately the correct location on the Sanborn map of 1908 and on the <br />1909 Drumm's Wall Map of Louisville at the Museum. (The 2000 Colorado Cultural <br />Resource Survey concluded that the house that was on the site in 1908 and 1909 was <br />added on to and was not razed.) <br />Tobey Ownership, 1904-1906 <br />In early 1904, Alice Tobey purchased this lot and house, and resided there. The 1904 <br />Louisville directory lists her as living in this location. She had been widowed in Denver <br />just two month earlier, with the Denver Post reporting that her husband, Frank Tobey, <br />had died suddenly of pneumonia. Frank Tobey's brother, H.D. Tobey, lived in Louisville <br />with his wife and two daughters. It seems likely that Alice Tobey relocated to Louisville <br />with her two daughters, ages 6 and 17, upon the death of her husband in order to be <br />near her husband's brother and his family. After about two years, Alice Tobey sold the <br />4 <br />